Oil Pressure

jonlabree

My 88 doesn't have a gauge on the dash. The reading is from the CRT screen in gages mode.

Also as info it has a new sending unit that was installed about a month ago. The old one had the same reading when idling. I changed it because it would show 200 psi whenever it went past 54 psi as RPM increased. I normally have between 52 and 58 psi while driving, depending on the temp.

What are your readings?

My reading are just a few pounds higher than yours.

I have changed the oil filter mounting bracket so that I can use

a much larger filter. (It turns the filter at an angle)

And when I changed it I installed an 1/8" washer behind the

oil spring relief valve. An old drag racers trick to kick up

the oil pressure little. I have since installed an external gauge

becaus when I replace the sending unit I got some strange readings on

my dash gauge.

I think that I am in the ball park with my oil pressure.

60lbs cold, 46-50 hot/

My 90 riviera has around 240k miles on it. Oil pressure on it is slowly dropping. When in gear and stopped (with a/c off) the pressure hangs around the high teens to mid 20's. Sometimes I find it even lower. A week ago or so I saw it in the high single digits! That was for a brief sec then it bounced back in the low-mid teens. I don't recall the idle rpm jumping around, only the oil pressure. The pressure just jumps around at times. When driving, it would be in the low-mid 30's. I assume these numbers are to low. Doesn't seem to matter if oil was just changed or not. Perhaps my engine is just getting near the end of its life? This is hot engine temp, not cold.

I was told to use thicker oil. I been using 10w30. The oil change place tossed in some 15w40. That made a difference. Oil pressure at idle is low-mid 30's. Driving pressure is mid 40's to low 50's. Trying to squeeze as much life out of this car as possible.

You might want to consider using some STP oil treatment. I believe it is designed for that purpose. Some people swear by it and other hate it. I have used it before and it does seem to quieten noisy engines and increase the oil pressure slightly. I would only add it to an older, high milage engine as a last resort. I would not use it in an engine in good condition.

Guest MauiWowee

Fluctuation of the oil pressure gauge can be a sign of a failing sending unit.

BTW, I don't think I'd EVER use a straight weight oil (20W!!) cool.gif