Anybody got a recommendation for front rotors?

Ronnie

Anybody got a recommendation for front rotors? Any I should stay away from?

I don't need the "kewl look" of drilled/slotted rotors, as I'm just wanting good stock rotors that aren't going to warp or vibrate after a short period of time. I'm doing nothing more than Sunday afternoon cruising on back roads and some highway driving, and I want good smooth braking more than performance stopping power.

What I'm looking for is a good OEM quality rotor at a great price that after a year I won't be saying "Boy, I wish I hadn't bought them".

What about the ones AutoZone (Value Craft & Duralast) and Advance (Wearever & Raybestos & Bendix) sell?

I do not recomment the Duracrap sold at Autozone based upon my experience. I understand their are different grades of steel used in rolors and you should stay away from the real cheap ones. Plus they are thinner and cannot be turned very often if necessary.

Guest Mike_s

I've used the napa rotors at apx 33 each, mine were machined well, seem to work ok, made in canada if I recall correctly.

Check them at the store though, bought 2, both with the same part# on the box but they had differnt bolt patterns. One was wrong, one was right smile.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

I'm using Wearever rotors from Advance. No trouble, but I've only run them 10k miles and mine are oversized. Due to my situation I probably can't give you any useful suggestions, but felt like sharing my experience.

From what I've read before, drilled rotors are not suggested for a regular street car because they can crack, and slotted rotors tend to be hard on brake pads.

Guest Kitskaboodle

I second F14's comment about drilled/slotted rotors.

Beware of them as they can develop cracks near the

drilled holes. We actually passed around an example

of them at a Fiero club meeting one night from a member

who had bought some off of Ebay. frown.gif

Kit / 90 Coupe / 86 Fiero GT

Guest EDBS0

Late on this one but I use BREMBO $25 each replacement_rotors_sm.jpg

Starting with a casting from a Brembo foundry that assures uniform thickness, Brembo OE Replacement Brake Rotors are machined to exacting tolerances (the rotor run-out tolerance is only 0.0025”, about half of the industry norm), feature a braking surface finish (ground or fine turned) compatible with the vehicle’s OE specifications and are electronically balanced to minimize the possibility of vibration.

Brembo offers its OE Replacement Rotors with the same levels of quality, technology and performance that have earned it Dodge Viper, Ferrari, Ford Mustang Cobra and Mercedes-Benz OEM fitments. All Brembo OE Replacement Rotors are manufactured under QS-9000 and ISO 9001 certifications to ensure the highest level of quality. Brembo brake rotors offer applications for most every automobile — domestic to import, compact car to luxury SUV.

NOTE: Brembo Original Equipment (OE) Replacement Rotors should always be installed in axle pairs to maintain the most effective brake performance.

At $25 each you are getting excellent brakes.

Want to upgrade go to ATE ate_premiumOne_rotor.jpg at $33 you can't go wrong!

And get performance and style. What more can you ask for?

ATE PremiumOne Disc Brake Rotors offer these advantages and benefits to the owners of domestic, European and Asian vehicles.

Original Equipment quality with premium features you can see that add convenience and help to enhance performance.

Features Benefits

• Patented RotorLife wear indicator. • Helps technicians and vehicle owners gauge rotor thickness at a glance, and notice when they are due for replacement.

• The wear indicator's interlaced elliptical grooves are machined into the rotor face at complimentary angles. • Groove design enhances dissipation of heat and gases to reduce brake fade, extend pad life. Looks great with cast spoke wheels.

• The MetaCote protective coating formulation is cured at approximately 572°F. No grease or oil to remove. • Helps protect against road salt, brake fluid and other corrosives — sheds water and dirt for clean appearance behind cast spoke wheels. Reduces overall installation time.

• Application specific design is engineered to tighter tolerances than rotors that take a "one size fits all" approach. • Fits and performs like or better than the Original Equipment it replaces — provides added value and convenience for brake technicians and their customers. No machining needed.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments. I really appreciate it!

I checked out the Brembo rotors at the Tire Rack website. There are lots of reviews there about the Brembo rotors there and most are very satisfied customers. Most say they have a high resistance to warping and that is one of the main things I'm looking for, along with quiet operation. I believe they are the best ones for the money but I'm still going to try to find some info on the Bendix rotors before I make up my mind.

I have bought drilled/slotted rotors from one of the Ebay suppliers for other cars and I prefer them if for no other reason they are treated and do not rust in all the non-working areas that all the other rotors rust. They work satisfactorily but I could not say for certain they work better than a regular rotor.

A shameless confession...I needed rotors for the Reatta, did not want to wait for delivery of a drilled/slotted set, so, I installed economy rotors sold by one of the big auto parts places, but they seem to work well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wwebb</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have bought drilled/slotted rotors from one of the Ebay suppliers for other cars and I prefer them if for no other reason they are treated and do not rust in all the non-working areas that all the other rotors rust. They work satisfactorily but I could not say for certain they work better than a regular rotor.

A shameless confession...I needed rotors for the Reatta, did not want to wait for delivery of a drilled/slotted set, so, I installed economy rotors sold by one of the big auto parts places, but they seem to work well. </div></div>

Which cheap rotors did you buy? How many miles have you put on them so far? I'm looking for good rotors at a good price.