Speaker System

Tacoma

I'm beginning to notice some static from my left front speaker in my Sassy 90 vert and am thinking it may be time to replace all speakers. I'm not sure how many speakers or what type (Woofers/Twetters)there are. Can anyone give me some particulars on the original speaker system (IE: Delco, etc) and suggest some replacements (Mid range cost)Can't afford Bose. And also who does good installation at reasonable prices (a national chain) I live in the Seattle area. Also concerned about the speaker cover cloth availability (Tan) replacement if it gets damaged in the process. Thanx

Guest F14CRAZY

A convertible has 4 speakers. Fronts are 5.25'' rounds with separate tweeters, and the rears are 4x10s with tweeters.

I haven't bought these retail and haven't had them installed either, so sorry for not being able to give you an idea of the cost.

The plastic panels in the back have to be removed to access the rears, and the entire door panels have to be removed to access the fronts, so unless the installers are really hard on yoru panels, the fabric shouldn't be harmed.

I have a popping and cracking sound that seems to come for different speakers at different times but the back speakers seem to be the worst. Is there something besides the speakers that could cause this problem? The radio seems to pick up stations just fine with a strong signal. Thanks

This problem has come up before. It starts with a static or crackling or popping sound out of one channel. It is caused by defective parts in the amplifier module of the radio assembly. I sent mine in for repair and it turned out to be a bad amplifier output IC chip. I've heard that defective capacitors or poor solder joints can cause similar problems. If you get the static sound when no music is being played, it is not a speaker problem. If you send it in, have the belts changed in the cassette player. It doesn't cost much if done at the same time, but saves a lot of grief if it happens shortly after you get the sound problem repaired.

It has been so long since I had it repaired, I can't find the paperwork. I believe I had it repaired by corvetteradios.com. They repaired the amplifier and replaced the belts. I think the cost was about $150.00. It has been over ten years since they repaired it, so I guess they did a good job, as I have had no problems since. Ask them for a estimate. Do a search on radio repairs, I remember that there were a few recommendations for repair shops around the country. Also there is a article about the cause if the radio was in a 88 or 88 Reatta. That is at Static & popping repair

Thanks for the information. When time permits I think I will try the repair procedure. Doesn't sound too hard if I can get the radio out without destroying something else. Someone also suggested getting the radio out of a later model Chevy pickup truck.

I wonder if anyone has tried replacing the tape player with a radio that has a CD? I'm sure there would be some wiring issues to over come but I guess the big hurdle would be making the installation look like it belonged there. I find using the controls on my 88 model very clumsy and not easy to do going down the road. I just like knobs and normal buttons better.