1954 Dodge Master Cylinder Removal

Sorry for asking such a basic question, but where can I find the procedure for removing the master cylinder on a '54 Dodge Coronet? I have the service manual, which is of no help. This is my first Mopar and I'm not accustomed to seeing the brake and clutch pedal pivot shaft going through the master cylinder. It's not obvious how to remove the pedals and shaft from under the car (while lying on my back in the driveway). Can anyone offer any tips? Thanx.

Jim

You will have to remove the pedal first. Then unbolt the master cylinder from the frame.

In some cases taking the pedal pad off at the top allows the pedal to drop thru the floor as you remove the master cylinder. In other cases it is easier to remove the pedal at the pivot point on the cylinder.

There may also be a removable plate under the carpet. By rolling back the carpet you can take the plate out from inside the car giving access to the cylinder.

Unless the brake line is new I find it best to cut the brake line off close to the master cylinder using side cutter pliers, and remove the fitting later with a socket wrench. Then install a new brake line. They always break off anyway and it saves a lot of monkeying around.

Thanx Rusty, I appreciate your response. I realized after looking at how the pedals are mounted that I'd have to take them off first, and that's the problem. I'm not sure how best to get them off the master cylinder. There doesn't seem to be enough clearance on either side of the MC to slide the pedals off the pin, and the clutch pedal has a killer spring attached to the mechanism that looks like a bear to remove. Anyway, I'll dig into it over the weekend. BTW, thanx for the tip on the removable floor panel. I'm sure that'll help some.

Jim