54 Ring and pinion ?

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

Found this rear end carrier with ring and pinion in the trunk of one of my 54's. Can anyone identify it by these numbers stamped on the pinion. that is an upside down 40 o the left between the two numbers. also how can I tell if the unit is any good?

1003342wj9.jpg

Hey Lamar, Buick did not supply the ring or pinion seperately, only as a set. Therefore the pinion #'s alone are not listed. The carrier was supplied seperately so if you have the carrier # I possibly could tell you the year/application. If you count the teeth on the ring and pinion I should be able to tell you the axle ratio. As to whether the unit is any good, if there is any pitting on the gear teeth it will be noisy, at least mine was. Same for the bearings if there is any roughness at all.......Bob

Guest imported_MrEarl

So that's why the NL in the parts book. Gotcha...

I'll check the housing for a number, wasn't aware there was one. thanks Bob

If the complete unit is good it should swap out though right Willie. Just swap the carrier and all? Any idea what the 40 stands for. Series maybe, or were all the series the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If noisy use heavier oil

</div></div>

and sawdust, right laugh.gif

Guest imported_MrEarl

while on the subject, how big of a hole does one drill in the rear bottom of the torque tube to check for/drain transission fluid.

Drill and tap for 1/4-20 short bolt. It should swap as is, but to do it right it should be disassembled for inspection and to replace the pinion seal. If the pinion seal is leaking you will get rear end oil in the torque tube and if transmission fluid get it the torque tube it will get into the rear before you can drain it.

Willie

Lamar

No seals. The original seal is designed to be replaced with the rear and torque tube in the car. The last seal I replaced was one matched to the housing and sealing surface of the pinion nut and installed from the front of the housing.

Willie