Big Six Starter Drive

Hi, I have a 27 Regal Commander Big Six EW sedan. The starter motor goes around just fine... won't engage the crank. Tried to remove it to examine the parts to determine the problem... but after removing the fan pulley and the front with the clutch pieces, I can't remove the rest from the crank. The nut came right off. As I try to pull the back and sprocket... it moves about 1/4 inch and comes to a hard stop. I don't want to apply force... don't want to break anything. Suggestions? I still don't understand what drives what and how the starter disengages from the crank after the engine starts. Help!

22tango,

The starter drives the crankshaft through a over-running clutch. This clutch assembly is keyed onto the front of the crankshaft and held in place with the special nut which has provisions for a hand crank. I generally remove the clutch, pulley, and sprocket as an assembly with a puller.

The clutch allows the starter to turn the engine over, but as it is one way (over-running), the engine cannot turn the starter.

Joel

Guest oldgoaly

i have the dealer service manual set,could i send you a copy parts brakedown? or a service sheet? tt

27ew-w looking for a front bumper clasp or bumper emblem mounting plate (shiloh,il.)

• 4 weeks later...

If you live in Darien,you are close to me in Joliet.

I have parts books and service manuals.

It seems that the front crankshaft nut was a problem on this engine.

Bob Burke in Phoenix makes these.

He is the guy to ask for help.

He is an expert on these engines.

Burk Automotive

602 276 7242