T-Type differential

Guest Mustfire

Guest Mustfire

Does anyone know where I can get either a replacement ring gear set (3:36:1) or a complete differential? This is the N code T-Type set up that was available from 1980 to 1984. At least I think that was the years.

Mustfire

I suspect that uses the normal GM 7.5" ring gear rear axle (oval-shaped rear cover with one bolt at the bottom of the circle), but it might be the 8.5" rear axle with a completely round rear cover and one bolt on the bottom of the circle. Normal stuff, nothing special to Buick per se . . . as I recall.

On the passenger side rear axle tube, about 1/2 between the center and outer end, there should be a string of stamp numbers, of which the last 3 letters (maybe 2, but usually 3 by that time of production) which will detail the rear axle ID (ratio, ring gear size, PosiTrac or not). I really suspect the rear axle ratio will be 3.42 rather than 3.36, though, but the code would detail that.

Should be GM and aftermarket sources, I suspect.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Sorry, was thinking about Regals rather than Rivs, which were rwd in those years. My apologies. Not smoking anything, period.

In the realm of GM Parts, a "differential" is on a rear wheel drive vehicle. "Final Drive" is what they call what was in the fwd cars you reference. THAT might be what got me thinking about rwd rather than fwd.

NTX5467