correct hood and stripes for a 72 442 convertible?

edale3

hello, i have a 1972 442 convertible, it had a prior repaint and when i bought it the guy gave me 2 hoods, i am getting ready to paint the car and i need to know what is the correct stripe package that should be on the car and what hood is correct the standard hood or the one with the chrome louvers? if it matters it is viking blue and has the 350 4bbl. [color:"blue"] thank you.

I'm gonna throw a monkey wrench in this...

There are at least three different 1972 stripe options, then you get into the regional marketing things that some sales zones had. I'll say a 72 ragtop should have the louvered hood since all convertibles were Supremes, but 442.com may have more information.

Most 1972 442s without W25 OAI hood will have a triple (narrow-wide-narrow) stripe running down the hood's center reveal recess.

Some may have double narrow pinstripes outlining the flat panels, and still others may have a wide-narrow panel outline stripe option.

I know the Florida sales zones had a special panel-painted hood and roof on coupes.

Confused yet?

Guest Joe_Varley

The most common hood stripes on hoods without OAI outlined the raised area of the hood, actually just off the raised area on the "angle". These were not painted on from the factory, but were stencil kits in vinyl. Stencils and Stripes has the exact kit you need. Find them on the web. I bought one 2 years ago for a '72 442 hardtop and it was right on. I forget the stripe option number, but it was legit and listed on the sticker I had for the car.

Joe Varley

AZ

Guest SASSYSUE

id love to see pix of your car as it sounds like ours. we have a 72 olds 442 convertible also. ours is a 350 4bbl. im going to go out on a limb and ask if one of the hoods is an oai w-25? if it is you can go to the members picture gallerys for olds and look at the pix that say mikes 72 olds 442. if your car looks like that then youll see what it looks like with the oai hood and all the correct stripes. of course the rest of the stripes on the car make it look like a w-30 which it isnt . it should say w-31 on the car but its cool the way it is. i hope youll put pix of your car in the gallery when the car is done. a buddy of ours sold a 72 olds 442 convertible in viking blue. it was a gorgeous car. whatever way you go with the stripes enjoy your car and have fun. my hubby hasnt stopped smiling since he got the car and all of his friends are envious.

Gentlemen, let me add this. My experiance with 68 to 72 "A" bodies that were unmolested and factory original is with cutlass s and cutlass supreme models. The louverd hoods were used only on 68 and 71 model years. The 68 and 71 hoods only interchange if you also replace the radiator support and grill assembly. Convertibles for 70, 71 and 72 used the sme quarter panels as the supreme hardtop for those years but, convertibles can be had as "S" models as well as the other variations. The louversd hoods for 71 came on the "S" cars only, but will fit all 71 and 72 "A" bodies with no modifications. Mike

• 3 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gentlemen, let me add this. My experiance with 68 to 72 "A" bodies that were unmolested and factory original is with cutlass s and cutlass supreme models. The louverd hoods were used only on 68 and 71 model years. The 68 and 71 hoods only interchange if you also replace the radiator support and grill assembly. Convertibles for 70, 71 and 72 used the sme quarter panels as the supreme hardtop for those years but, convertibles can be had as "S" models as well as the other variations. The louversd hoods for 71 came on the "S" cars only, but will fit all 71 and 72 "A" bodies with no modifications. Mike </div></div>

That's not completely correct. For 70-71, ALL A-body convertibles were either Cutlass Supremes or 442s. In 72, the only convertible was the Supreme convert; the 442 was only an option package that year. Louvered hoods were available in 71 and 72 - in fact the 72 A-body cars were virtually identical to the 71s since they were a last-minute replacement for the delayed redesign that finally came out in 1973. There were actually FIVE different A-body hoods in 1972, the fiberglass W-25 hood and four different metal hoods. The four metal hoods were the four possible combinations of with or without the chrome louvers and with or without the stamped slots at the base of the windshield.

• 2 weeks later...