smoking ignition switch!

After a routine one hour highway drive, i briefly turned off my very clean, reliable, no-fuss 90 Reatta coupe. A few minutes later, I re-started it and went back on the highway. In less han a minute, there was smoke coming from the ignition key area!!! YIKES!!! Driving alone at 65 mph, I wasn't able to pinpoint the exact source, but, it was smilar to the quantity of smoke from a cigarette burning in an ashtray but smelled like smoldering wiring. It seemed to clear quickly and had no effect on the car's fnction or performance. A friend had borrowed the car a few weeks earlier and reported the same thing happening in a short city commute but I fgured they were making fun of the car's intricate electronics. Any insight on this most odd occurance?!!?!? Is my Reatta a condidate for a meltdown?

Guest Shaffer

Goodness gracious. shocked.gif" border="0 I personally would not drive the car until the problem was detected, or you knew you could disconnect the battery fast if the smoke did not stop. May not be so lucky next time. Something is definetly shorting out. (Could it be possible you have a Ford ignition switch in your Buick? - haha) Later model GM cars seem to have more electrical problems, than the older ones. From the mid 70s and older GM cars had better electrical systems than Chrysler or Ford. Was pretty reliable electrical wise. Odd, that the old cars have such good electical and the early 80s-early 90s are poor. Japanese cars, especially Toyota, Honda and Nissan are rated tops in electrical systems. From past experience it seems like late 60 - and on Chrylsers have poor electrical systems. My uncle bought a 1970 Dodge truck to resell and I noticed that almost every wire under the hood was melted. My grandparents had a 1988 Chrysler NY and similar to your ignition switch, smoke was coming from it. Did not catch fire though. It was repaired. If I remember correctly years ago, we had a 77 Plymouth wagon, that suddenly the dash lights went out, all guages quit working. Never knew what happened to it. Good luck to you. Again, it does not sound good.

Yes a dime got into my lighter and while on the expressway black smoke began to roll into the car from under the passenger dash. While this was happening, my headlights began literally bouncing open and shut by themselves. Talk about the exorcist! I had managed to burn up the saudered diode at the passenger fuse block.

If you were using the cruise cuntrol I would look at that. Otherwise I would suspect your multifuction (turn signal)switch. If you don't know how to tear into the steering column I would have any shop do it.<P>Tom

The electrical part of the ignition switch is located further down the column, not at the mechanical switch.<P>Check the fuses for your flasher, turn signals, and headlight dimmer (or verify they all work) the other possibility, although unlikely, would be the airbag wiring.

I had exactly the same thing happen to my 1990 Reatta Coupe. I took it to the dealer and had it checked. I replaces the turn indicator mechanism and that solved the problem immediately. That was definitely my problem. <P>Hope this helps and cures!!!!!<BR>Willyum

Guest Shaffer

Yes, that is what was wrong with my grandparents 88 Chrysler New Yorker. It was the turn signal switch. Those cars are computer everything, just as the Reatta.

• 1 month later...
Guest Shaffer

I am glad to report, that after several more electrical problems on my grandparents 88 Chrysler that they finally traded it off. Something computer had shorted out again, making the door open/seat belt and other warning lights not to go off, as well as the compass and speedo not working at times. The family had advised them to get rid of the junker, as they have spent literally $10,000 in repairs on a car only worth about $3,000. Things done to it over the years: Engine rebuild (due to bad rings), new transmission, new power steering pump, alternator, etc. The car only had 95K easy well-maintained miles and it still was a junker. It was like new in and out, but electrics and drive train was terrible. The mechanic finally advised them last week, that their was a bad short somewhere in the computer and advised them to sell it, so they traded it in last week. Finally got a GOOD car. A 1996 Buick LeSabre. Will be much more dependable car. The LeSabres are supposed to be one of the most trouble free American cars built. At least they got $3,000 trade-in, (at least the dealer said) LOL. Good-bye Chrysler. grin.gif" border="0