Reatta vs. Fiero

Prof Bob

Two of GM's division 2 seaters that emerged in about the same timeframe. I was a coop student at GM's Lansing division in the 80s, and I actually worked in the Reatta Craft Center when it was being built. I also was involved with the Fiero, as Lansing built the Fiero plastic body panels and gas tank.

I think the Fiero was a much more innovative design than the Reatta, but because of that, it met with many problems (that were ironed out near the end, but too late).

The Reatta was a more straightforward design, perhaps appealing to a different class of buyer. I see many Fieros today that are modified, perhaps much more so than Reattas.

Both have very nice lines, and I think GM had some good designs there. Any other thoughts?

I generally look at the Reatta as the center of a triangle formed by the Fiero, Allante, and Corvette. For me it has the best parts of each without the extreme bits though is somewhat radical in its own way.

My outlook on cars is like my toolbox: the right tool for the job, I just have more jobs than most.

For drivers, the Reatta is mine though I work from home most of the time, the Bonneville is my wife's though it is considered a "family" car, the TranSport is for trips, usually as a two seater though sometimes I put the other five in. All are 3800/4T60x so just need one set of spares.

The Judge is for when I want to be reminded of my yout and am in the process of buying a 66 Covair convertible (gave up on making the Fiero a drop-top) for when that urge is there and in case of a parade.

Some fix on a particular car and tend to have lots. A representative of each type is enough for me and provides for participation in more than one group.

Was educated by and once worked for GM. Have not needed to look beyond.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Reatta was a more straightforward design, perhaps appealing to a different class of buyer. I see many Fieros today that are modified, perhaps much more so than Reattas.</div></div>

Fiero was more plentiful and most importantly, <span style="font-weight: bold">RWD</span>. Try as some Americans might, most people accept the fact the FWD has severe sportiness limitations and thus is a waste to invest too much. The Fiero has engine swap potential and even serving as a base for kit car conversions.

Having been in both, I can see why the Fiero gets more love...its a better platform to build off of.

Traditionally GMs rear-engined cars become cult cars but there is another factor here: the Fiero cost a third as much as a Reatta and sold more in the first year than all four years of the Reatta combined.

Both are factors but the fact is that a really nice, decked out Fiero is worth more than an equivalent Reatta. The Fiero may be a cult car but it is a big cult.

Part of the reason is the ease of engine swaps - no digital dashes to worry about and in fact little computer controls at all. Biggest drawback to engine swaps in the Reatta is not the physical swap but making the electronics work.

Another problem is that the Reatta is probably 600 lbs heavier than a Fiero, so given similar hp the Fiero is a lot faster.

Not to say the Reatta is slow, my 88 recorded repeatable 0-60s in 8.4 seconds which is not bad at all, just it does not seem fast. In addition, the Reatta was never available with a manual transmission (since the 440T4/4T60 seems to have five speeds is not the point).

So you are really comparing apples and oranges, about the only thing Reattas and Fieros have in common are plastic front fenders and flip up headlamps, their entire attitudes are different.

Note: I bought my first Fiero in 1989 and just recently sold my last one, soon to be replaced by a Corvair. If I could have found a Fiero convertible kit, I might have stayed.

Guest F14CRAZY

Haven't actually sat in a Fiero but Reattas are made for comfort. Remember that it's a luxury-performance car (or at least Buick thought so).

The Fiero started as a commuter car. Near the end, Pontiac figured out it could be a performance car.

Take it from a guy who still owns both cars 86 fiero gt and

89 Reatta. That said the Fiero is more fun to drive and harder

to maintain...The Reatta has much more class, easier to live with

and more people friendly. The Fiero would compare to a fast go kart,

and parts are more available.

Guest waxbgone

In 1984 I bought a Fiero. I was young, spry, and could tolerate getting into a car with a seat 11" above the street. It was a car to love. It was rather spartan, peppy, nimble and fun to drive, and relatively inexpensive. Pontiac was pretty good with warranty, which was good, because there were some serious design glitches with the powertrain design. I drove it for years, then 2 of my children drove it to college. I got it back after graduation, and ran it up to 140,000 miles (and 12 starter motors). When I gave it to my oldest daughter it was still a reasonably relaible daily driver.

I fell in love with the Reatta the first time I saw one. In 1989, my kids were close to college, and I just couldn't afford one, but I was hooked. In 1994, I bought my first 90 ragtop (used, with 48,000 miles on it). It came just in time, because it is "mature driver" friendly. It has power steering, and seat geometry that works for adults who get up in the morning and take joint pain medication. I sold #1 with 250,000 miles on her, and bought her twin, again with 45,000 miles. When I sold #1, she had the original serpentine belt, radiator hoses, alternator, water pump, etc., etc. She was the anti-Fiero. It was by far the most reliable car I have ever heard of, let alone owned.

I have just given #2, with 165,000 miles to my Granddaughter and bought #3, another white 90 convert, with 56,000 miles, and #4, a 91 coupe with 24,000 miles.

For this time in my life, the Reatta is the perfect combination of classic sportiness and driving comfort. To tell you how much I love my Reattas, in January 2004, I had the opportunity to buy a brand-new Cadillac XLR. At that time, they were incredibly hard to get, and the opportunity was too good to pass up. It is truly a world-class car. Sandy and I had a fun summer visiting the Corvette plant, where it was built, and opening it up on I-40 in Tennessee. (We chickened out at 140mph, but it had lots left). It was a great experience (and also old-fart friendly), but we decided that we would never love the car like we love Reattas, so we sold it and looked for another 90 convertible. Weeks later we bought #3, and never looked back.

The Fiero and the Reatta are two of the loves of my life, and each was appropriate to the point in my life when I owned them. The Reatta probably would have been wrong for my younger days, and the Fiero would be impossible for me now.

I find it very interesting that there are numerous comments about working for GM, or being educated by GM. I am a 1966 graduate of GMI (now Kettering University), and I met my wife there. I worked for Chevrolet for 17 years.

Guest waxbgone

By the way, shortly after the end of the Fiero model run, I visited a dealer about 50 miles south of Cleveland, who had 10 Fiero convertibles. They were obviously aftermarket conversions, and a little crude, so I passed on the opportunity, but there were some out there.

Guest imported_Flash

As far as 2 seaters (or nearly 2 seaters)- a '75 Vega (3 spd manual) got me through the last couple years of college. A '71 Corvette w/ '70 LT1 short block, Holley 650, headers & Hurst 4 speed in the early 80's, an '84 Fiero and an '88 Reatta.

The Reatta is the only one I kept.

I think Padgett said it all. Different strokes for different tastes. I was HEAVY into Fiero's a few years ago (ask the Fiero folks about 'tinman'). Great car. But with age, I like my ass cushioned with a little more class these days, so the reatta was a perfect replacement for the Fiero.

I even put a 3800 powertrain in a Fiero; went like skat.

My dad has a 1991 Park Avenue and I really gotta ask just where in the world all this seat cusion is coming from? confused.gif

Buick seats (not Regal T-Types) from the late 80s and early 90s are painful as hell to ride in long distance. We have to use a towel on the drivers seat or else our right hip locks up and gets very sore. And, I'm not even an old guy! Getting in and out of my R32 Skyline (Japanese sportscar not avaliable in the US) was a much easier affair than the Park Avenue.