i cant sell my reatta

about 2 weeks ago i was looking to get rid of my 89 reatta and 2 weeks have gone by and noone has even made an offer for it the price is only $6,000. the car has 29,000 origanal miles and its in working order. if anyone would be interested in buying it within the next few days please call me if your in the NYC area (westchester,rockland north NJ) my # is 914 638-2522. i'm not in the used car buissiness but i want to get rid of my car asap<BR>please its a good price for what the car has.<BR>thanks<BR>matthew drazin

2 WEEKS!!! I've had my Reatta on the market for 2 1/2 months! I've had a number of calls but no serious buyers. It's heartbreaking enough when you have to sell a car that you LOVE but worse when no one seems to want it. It's like having someone tell you your beautiful baby is ugly!

I've had my Reatta up for sale for over a month now too, and I've only had one serious looker. :o( Everyone I talk to says it's such a nice car, but it seems that no one wants to buy it. Just have to wait and see I guess.

THE MAIN REASON IT'S HARD TO SELL REATTAS IS BECAUSE OF THE LOAN VALUES. MOST BANKS WILL NOT GIVE CAR LOANS ON CARS OF THIS AGE BRACKET. TO GET A LOAN, A PERSON MUST HAVE PERFECT CREDIT AND APPLY FOR A SIGNATURE LOAN. HOPE THIS HELPS.

I must comment........ Not all Reattas are equal. When pricing or buying a Reatta you must be very careful of condition. Mileage is important but so is the condition of certain items. If you have a cracked door panel arm rest, where are you going to get a replacement? If the weatherstriping around the door window is damaged, what does it cost to get that repaired? Some of these parts are very difficult to find and often more expensive than similar parts for other cars.<P>So when you see a car listed in very good condition, what does that really mean? I looked at a '90 red/tan coupe yesterday that was listed as extremely nice. The exterior was good, the arm rest was cracked, the seat was showing signs of wear, the weather stripping was poorly repaired, the carpet was faded, it had 138k, but had new heads. The asking price was $6995 and it will be a long time before they get over $4000 for that car.<P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

in reply:<P>the colors are RED Exterior: tan leather int.<BR>condidtion is great, slight fading on the plastic above the bumper. no engine problems. the car only has 29,000 miles with a new battery and new tires. the AC may need to get recharged soon(freon). and the pass side window is off the track so it doesnot go down all the way. the car was baugth new my my grandmother in 1989 and kept in florida for 10 years and it was waxed once every 3 months and she rarely used (hence the low milage) and when she got to old to drive it anymore she gave it to me i live in NY and have had the car since 99 and only put 3k miles on it. i'm goin to school in 27 days and i need to get rid of it before i go. so i can get my new truck for school. i NEED TO get rid of it soon. anymore info just ask. or call 914-638-2522<BR>i'm not looking for a hassle so somone say a magic number and i say SOLD. simple and easy i just dont want the car anymore. so somone please take it from me. we lowerd the PRIce once again to 5,900 dollars. and if it doesent sell by the end of the week were goning to almost give it the dealer on a trade in for my new car ;( but id rather somone who wants the car to take it. so please give me a call if interested its so cheap its worth it if you need parts for your other 89 reatta. <BR>914-638-2522<BR>Matthew Drazin

This is an interesting topic, and one that does not come up that often. By the time the ReattaNY reads this, your car may allready be traded in at the dealership. (Which I pray to God you don't do. There not going to give you S**T, and will turn around and sell your car for $10,000 calling it a "Clasic".)<P>At any rate, anyone who has a Reatta curently or is thinking of getting one, had better read this long and well. Not everyone out there appreciates these automobiles and even if they do, they are not going to pay through the nose for them!<P>I mean some of the quotes I've seen for cars well into the 100,000 mile range are like "C'mon, give me a break."<P>When I bought my 90' it had 93,000 miles on it. It now has 105,000 and I've got another 21 months on the loan!<P>Y'know what that means? I'm stuck with it. Now my only option is to fix it up, maintain it and keep it running.<P>If I do purchase another Reatta(which I plan on doing) I will know that it is a life(Car life that is) long commitment. And that selling it and seeing some sort of profit is out of the question.

Barney--Thanks for your message. That explains some of the questions I've gotten from people calling about my car. I've taken very good care of of it and haven't had problems with the interior so when they asked about cracked leather, broken windows and latches, etc. I'm a little surprised. And, when Reattas went out of production, I bought a new set of floor mats so that I'd have nice ones when I was ready to sell the car. The issue of price is very confusing. I've had mine advertised at $7,000 based on Blue Book and what others have been asking in this area (DC). But I've seen others for $5000 up to (my favorite) $24,800! I've never had anyone suggest that the price is too high or try to negotiate a lower one but I'd appreciate any advice you could give me on ways to enhance my chances of selling it. <BR>As much as I love that car, I'm going broke paying for insurance and property taxes on 2 cars. Thanks for your help!!

well i braught my car to the dealership today<BR>and they offered around 3 grand for it. thats the low down. but me and my father still dont know what were goin to do yet. but were giving the ad in the paper till monday to run and see if anyone bits at it<BR>or were just goin to take whatever they give us. because we had the car since new, were not really loosing money so... i just dont know i want my new suv so badly that i dont ever care what happens to my reatta now aslong as it goes ASAP i mean i wanted to take the 3k for it right then and there but my dad knows better then me( it comes with age) so we will wait and find out. so if anyone sees this you have untill monday to buy it from me. its gonna be a shame for someone to get ripped off from the dealer. but they can just get a "steal" from me. ;(

I think you should be patient. If I had 6 grand laying around, there would be no question what I would do with it. That's a great price for a car with 29k on it. <P>Also I don't know what else you may have tried to sell it, but I would reccomend eBay and hmn.com (hemmings motor news). <P>What you have to realize is that the typical car selling techniques don't really work for this type of car. Someone who doesn't appreciate this car sees it as an 11 year old Buick, not a collectable. <P>Try the sites I reccomended, they have car afficianados like this site does, but alot more traffic.<P>

well i would wait forever if i had the time.<BR>but in about 26 days i'm going to college its going to be my sophmore year and i'm allowed to bring a car up. school is 7 hours from my house and driving a reatta in the snowy area where i goto school would be torture for me and the car. so i'm getting a SUV with 4x4. my dad is buying me the new car and he owns the reatta also. so the deal is he wont own 2 cars for me at the same time. so i have to sell the reatta. if i sold it today. tommrow my new SUV would be in the driveway waiting for me. but since its been all summer and i havent sold my reatta yet, no new SUV in my driveway. frown.gif my dad isint trying to make a business about selling the car. hes gonna take any reasonable price for the car if somone says anything reasonable hes gonna say SOLD!. and i get my new car but the priobelm is that NOONE HAS EVEN offered a # for the car yet. except for the dealer where i'm getting the new car from but wed get almost nothing for it there and thats the last resort. he doesent want to say it but on monday were goin to trade it in for the SUV (the trade in would just about cover a 2 year lease strait up. which is a great deal) but wed rather have the cash and just pay the payments for the new car.thats the story of my summer so far...somone please help me out and just buy the reatta from me please! wink.gif anyhoo thanks for responding and giving ideas for me to try to sell it but...its no use its headed for the lot...<BR>Matthew Drazin<BR>914-6388-2522<BR>kindbuds420@hotmail.com

WILL SOMEONE OUT THERE PLEASE BUY THIS GUYS REATTA....I WOULD DO IT MYSELF, BUT I JUST PURCHASED ONE THREE MONTHS AGO...I WOULD HATE TO SEE IT GO TO A DEALER....IT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT DEAL FOR SOMEONE WHO REALLY APPRECIATES THESE CARS.....HELP....VAMP.

Hi there,<BR> I was away for a while and just got back, <BR>Try selling the Reatta on the Ebay, what have you got to lose?<BR>I also tried selling my 1988, looks and drives like a new car with just 186K miles and priced well to sell, my car has passed the Ontario Emissions as well as was fully certified a few months ago and the price was $2800 U.S or best offer as is.<BR>I too had a handfull of people, but only one serious fellah made me an offer which was very close,but was going to make me a counter offer, and after making this counter offer which was no was close, but I still told him that I will take $4K Canadian, and so he agreed as well as told me on the day he was coming to pick up the car, that he has changed his mind, though phone me again and played around. So no go.<BR>I am at present as I write this down I am taking it to the Dealer auctions, though the dealer friend of mine will help me sell it.<P>I guess thats it Folks!<P>Cheers!<P>Prakash