starting problem

I have trouble starting on cold mornings, it won't start it just turns over. So last nignt I put a light bulb under the hood and the car started fine. My question is what sensor might this be. I have no trouble starting the car on warm days above 60 Deg.<BR>thanks Dale<P>------------------<BR>

i usually have to turn the key about 8 times till my car starts.....anyone know why?...after it sits for more than 3 hours u hav to crank it alot....i hav an 89....with 100000 miles....

Guest Buick Mike

jamesl - My car sometimes does the same thing. What I discovered was that if it doesn't start on the first try if I shut it completely off and let it sit for about 10 seconds it will ususally start on the next try. I don't know why that works, but it does. As always YMMV. <P>Mike<p>[This message has been edited by Buick Mike (edited 12-15-1999).]

Hi, I remember my car did the same thing....first they said it was the cold start module....after replacing that and constantly having the same problem...they replaced something in the steering column, the Rivera has had the same problem......hope that helps somewhat...Linda

is there a way u can tell if your cold module is out by using that diagnostic test when u push the up button on the climate control..if so what is the code for the cold module?

• 9 months later...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamesl:<BR><B>i usually have to turn the key about 8 times till my car starts.....anyone know why?...after it sits for more than 3 hours u hav to crank it alot....i hav an 89....with 100000 miles....</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a 'cold module', or anything similar. Some GM engines of the period used cold start injectors, the Reatta 3.8 doesn't. My advice on hard starters is, to check fuel rail pressure when the key is ON, pressure should shoot up to at least 35#; its possible the pressure regulator on the fuel rail is internally leaking (bleeding back to the tank), or the pump is weak.

I had a problem very much like this one. The shop replaced this and that and still the car would not start on the first turn of the key like it used to do. Recently there have been a number of posts about this topic and mention was made of the fuel pump relay. Looking at the engine, the relay (88-89) is located on the firewall, passenger side. I took the relay off, cleaned the plug on the relay. Now the car starts first time the key is turned. Hope this may help you.

I concur with Howard. He was lucky that it was just relay connector corrosion. It is more likely that the relay contacts will need to be burnished. The relay housing can be removed allowing access to the contacts. Otherwise the relay will have to be replaced. For those who care about original restoration, I have found that the replacement relay is of a different configuration and comes with a adapter bracket.

so far what I have been told on hard clod starts, usually lies within the fuel system.<P>I.E. the fuel pump relay<BR>or the fuel pump itself is losing pressure allowing the fuel to return to the tank.<P>the reatta is a pressurized fuel system, loss of that pressure means the fuel system has to re-new itself at a cold start which is why it takes more than a single turn of the key

• 2 weeks later...

fuel pump reay is likely, but your all missing something!!! ignition coil!! 12353801 (gm part #). an engine requires more spark voltage on a cold start. common problem for the 3800. use a st-135 spark tester(available just about any parts store) and check for propoer secondary ignition voltage(can be done cold or hot)