1956 buick roadmaster

abraham56

Hello can some one please help. 

Regarding my 1956 buick roadmaster.

Today i replace water heater hose, this hose comes fron wall of the car and it goes down to passenger side front fender. Metal tube where heater hose is connected is kind broken and leaking water. What would happened if canceled this neater water hose. Would i damaged my 56 buick roadmaster engine or tranny.

On sunday i drove my car for 40 minutes and was not shifting gears at all. I noticed transmission fluid coming out from upper side of high acummelator, right where shifting gears is connected between high acummelator. Also transmission fluid was coming out from deed stick.

After and hour i poot one 1/4 of transmission oil and shifted perfect. No funny nosises and no more leaking. Do i have a bad transmission? What should i do. I'm in los angeles ca and not many people know how repair dynaflow transmissions. Please any help i would appreciate. God bless

Hi Abraham, welcome to this forum.   What model Roadmaster do you own, and feel free to post some pictures

Regarding the transmission, can I ask a few questions, such as:

Have you owned this car long?

Has the car been sitting unused for a long period of time?

When you say you put 1/4 transmission oil in, do you mean one quart?

What do you mean when you say it shifted fine after putting in the fluid, since you should not feel a shift with the original style Dynaflow transmission if using it in "D" range.

Regarding the coolant situation, you could by pass that broken tube and run the heater hose directly to the heater core without any damage to the engine or transmission.  There is a site on the web which has the 1956  Buick shop manual if you do not have a hard copy.  You can read about that tube and it's function, and decide if you want to replace it.  Here's the site:  https://www.hometownbuick.com/buick-literature/1956-buick-literature/  There are some available and yours is likely repairable.  

There is a Buick vendor of great value right in California which you should get familiar with:  https://bobsautomobilia.com/

Good luck with your car

IGood morning JohnD 1956.

My buick is a 1956 buick roadmaster 4 door hart top no post. 

I had this car for about a year car was sitting down for almost 15 years. Before i git my car running i have rebuilt following parts. Carburetor,fuel pump,water pump, generator, voltage regulator. Tun up , radiator and flush transmission oil as well with new pan gasket. 

I have bean driving my car about a month with no issues. Las weekend i drove my for 40 minutes and notice theirs was a transmission fluid leak and. Transmission oil was leaking with pressure and transmission fluid coming out from deep stick as well. my car did not move on d or reverse at all. After and a hour i bought one quart of ATF transmission oil and poot one quart of transmission oil into to my car and shifted good no problems. I went under my car and noticed where is leaking from. Is on top from high acummelator where acummelator is connected to gears. 

The radiator cooler dies not work....so a bought a 45 dollar cooler and run transmission lines to cooler. I hope I'm won't kill my transmission by doing this step. Today i drain transmission fluid out from transmission oil pan. Do you know how many quarts of transmission fluid i need to buy. Thank you for all your information. I wish i had money to take to a car shop....but family comes first. 

Running a transmission cooler will not hurt your transmission, in fact it will help it. It will do a better job than the "pre-heater" in the stock radiator. It will also help your engine run cooler.

http://www.hometownbuick.com/portfolio/1956-buick-shop-manual/

This link has all you will need in order to properly maintain your 1956 Buick Roadmaster.

• Like 2