An old one, but just what is it? Mystery chassis from the '20s.

Ray Bell

22 hours ago, Ozstatman said:

22 hours ago, Ozstatman said:

Checking things over fairly thoroughly I found that the engine number is not present nor could I find a chassis number. I did measure the wheelbase, it's either 110 or 111".  The left rear wheel is still on the car, it looks like someone couldn't get the taper to break.

The tappet cover shows yet another motif, 'Tappett Clearances .006" COLD', or at least that's what I think it says. Asking around, I also learned that the car had its clutch replaced shortly before its demise. I've yet to fully plumb that story, but I have the name and number of the bloke who supposedly did the job when he was a young fellow.

0818mngndjewettrearwheel.jpg

0818mngndjewetttappetcover.jpg

Edited by Ray Bell (see edit history)

Comparing this wheelbase with the tables from the 1923-24 MoToR list of specifications, the Jewett has a wheelbase of 112", the Paige 6-42 & 6-44 has a wheelbase of 119". The 6-42 & 6-44 were a smaller car built between 1920-1922, before the Jewett was built. The Jewett was built from 1922.

There were two models of Paige built at the time, and this car shouldn't be confused with the larger 6-55, 6-66 & 6-70, which are very different. The diffs used in the 1922-24 Jewetts was a Timkin. The Paige 6-42 & 6-44 used a Salisbury. Personally, most of the eveidence is pointing towards this chassis being a Jewett.

I'm sure you're right, Craig...

Do you know where I can find a picture of such a Timken differential? Just to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm guessing I have to try and measure more accurately, I had allowed an extra inch for spring compression, maybe not enough?

I won't be able to contact the bloke who did the clutch job until Wednesday now. It turns out his phone number wasn't correct. Or he's been disconnected. I suspect the latter.

Ray, I can't help you with a photo of that type of Timken diff. The Timken diffs I've seen from that era sometimes have a letter T in a triangle on the back cover. Whether this one has or not? I'm not sure. Hopefully, someone else might be able to jump in with more info, as I really don't know much about them.

I have now learned more about this relic...

It belonged to the baker in the town and had suffered some kind of problem and was put aside. Someone from another town some distance away knew about it and wanted to buy it. This would have been in the late forties.

The baker had a very young bloke working for him part time who had some mechanical aptitude and set him to work repairing the problem (probably the rear universal joint), then the buyer handed over the money and started to drive home. He was happy for a while, but then some other issue intervened and the car came to a halt about twenty miles out of town.

The new owner then walked or got a ride back to the baker's and demanded his money back. A dispute arose and I don't think he got his money back. The long and the short of it was that the car was left on the side of the road at that time.

Over many years the bodywork, seats, radiator, three of the wheels, electricals and some other parts have been taken away and what my pics show is what was left. Until Friday.

I cut the front section of the chassis off and took it home, I'm expecting to get the rear section this week or next, while the kid from the baker's is going out to souvenir the tail shaft he worked on when he was just a lad.

• 3 weeks later...

The chassis has now been removed from the site...

0918chassis1.jpg.8ad4a3859f50c7e87cfa517e02e421f3.jpg0918chassis2.jpg.961be3795888619a43ce82aae2b7a846.jpg0918chassis3.thumb.jpg.4b8ad802b8cab4ca571c87a34f127aa8.jpg

As my project needs the chassis to be shorter and narrower, I cut it into three pieces for transport home. The dumb irons won't be needed as I'll be using transverse leaf springs, so they've been cut off too.

And still lying by the side of the road, as it has been for over sixty years:

0918therest2.thumb.jpg.6a025e680c72ac9cf83606fe20aa0316.jpg

0918therest.jpg

Edited by Ray Bell (see edit history)