1956 buick roadmaster pump

abraham56

Good morning every one. My name is abraham. I love buicks my first buick when i was 19 mid 1990s was a buick skylark. Can some please help me. I have a 1956 buick roadmaster and i need a water pump. Some one told me, when i purchased water pump to make sure it fits my 56 roadmaster. According to my friend the 56 buick special and century water pumps are different, from roadmaster 56. I know all 56 buicks have a 322 nail head engine. I'm sure all carrie same water pump.Right?. Speed motors auto parts has a water pump for 103$ according to customer services it fits all 1956 buicks. Should i rebuilt my 56 roadmaster water pump better. Please hel thank you and have a great day.

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I have moved your question from the Forum Software Forum to the Buick Forum. Hopefully you will find someone here who can answer your question.

The only difference may be the number if vanes on the pump. Cars with factory air conditioning units may have more than three vanes. Otherwise the pump bodies are the same for all the 56 engines. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today my water pump was remove from my 56 buick roadmaster. I notice a small square openning right under pump cover . my pump was took to get it rebuilt, and according to water shop person, said it was normal to have the opening on water pump. True or false 

On 7/26/2018 at 10:42 AM, JohnD1956 said:

The only difference may be the number if vanes on the pump. Cars with factory air conditioning units may have more than three vanes. Otherwise the pump bodies are the same for all the 56 engines. 

Hey John.

I have a question today i remove water pump from my 56 roadmaster. I notice a small square opening on water pump cover. Took my water pump to get it rebuilt and they told me at the shop it was normal to have the opening on water pump cover.thats the way they were built. Tru or false thanks John

true.  That opening is facing down when the pump is installed, right?  Then that is okay.

Did you already drop the pump at the shop?  If not,  ask them to go easy on any resurfacing of the vanes.  It has been theorized that some rebuilders grind the vane surface smooth and in doing so create too much gap between the edges of the vanes and the timing chain cover surface where it sits.   This, in theory,  will reduce the flow efficiency of the pump.  I say theory because I do not know if any of this is true, but it would make sense to me that a larger gap between the edge of the vane and the timing chain cover would impact water flow to some extent.  So, since the vanes will not be seen inside your engine, in my view there is no point to making them pretty at the sake of reduced pump efficiency. 

• Like 2

Hell9 John D56...

Water pump was installed with no problems. Right now i have a problem right after water was installed......my car starts i go around tbe block and car turns. One of my friends adjusted carburator, took my 56 roadmaster for a test and turn off my friend told me is the fuel pump. I notice not to much gas passing thru fuel filter, behind carburator. We try to start it but only crank. When i try to to start it i kept hearing a funny noise, it sound like of vintage old toys cars. Those toys car you had to twist on side in order to make then run. I'm not a mechanic but i told my friend coot be distributor.  Thanks for all your advices. 

Abraham, it is very difficult to figure what's wrong from this limited information.  Is this the first time you drove it?  How old is your battery?  Have you cleaned the battery terminals?  I would not touch the distributor yet.  I think what you describe is low voltage from a uncharged battery or poor battery terminal connections.  Any chance you can take a video and post a link to it here?

Generator, carburator were rebuilt and new voltage regulator was installed two weeks ago. And bran new battery was installed 3 days ago. I notice small leaking fuel around fuel pump gasket. 

Before water pump was remove my car run good. Right after water pump was rebuilt my car only cranks. If i throw gasoline on carburator it will turn for 20 seconds and then dies. I don't see no fuel getting thru fuel filter. 

There should not be any fuel leaking around the fuel pump. There should be a small vent hole in the fuel pump. Is that where the gas is leaking?  If not, the follow below.

First thing to do is make sure your fuel line is intact.  There is a piece of flexible hose from the fuel pump to the fuel line attached to the car's frame.  Is that piece cracked or leaking?    Then under the back of the car there may be a piece of flexible hose between the tank and the fuel line.   I say "may be"  because that would not be there from the factory.  But if a new fuel pickup and sender unit is used in the gas tank,  some mechanics will use a piece of flexible hose at that location.  Check to see if that is broken or cracked.   Replace each as needed, because if they are broken or cracked the fuel pump will be unable to pull the gas from the tank.

If there is no flexible hose back by the gas tank then chances are the tank has never been removed from the car, and it may need to be removed now,  to be cleaned out.

First thing to do is remove the  flexible line from the fuel pump and then use 40 pounds of compressed air to blow through the fuel line back to the gas tank,  and push any debris back into the gas tank.  Be careful.  You do not want to cause damage with too much pressure.  Then check your fuel line along the length of the car.  If you smell gas anywhere between the gas tank and the engine then you have to inspect and fix any leaks there my be in the length of the fuel line.  Any cracks anywhere along the line will stop the fuel pump from sucking the gas out of the tank. 

If you find no leaks in the fuel line and you have a new pickup unit in the gas tank,  then I would look at the fuel pump.

• Like 1