72 LeSabre coolant tank

Bluelick

Hey guy's,thank's for the forum looks like a nice place.I read around a bit before joining..

Anyway,have a 72 LeSabre drop top,350 engine that has over heated and blew the coolant tank apart..I need to know is there anything special about these tanks,or,can I reconfigure it with something newer?

Top blew off.lol

Tks for looking and for any replies !

Sounds like perhaps your problems are greater than with the OVERFLOW tank. 

The plastic bottle connected to the little overflow tube that exits near the radiator cap is for the sole purpose of catching the (little bit) coolant that escapes then holding it such that is is sucked back into the radiator. It's presence does not add in any way to the cooling capabilities of the radiator. 

If your tank is original and old and it has just cracked and broke, then you can replace it or not with something original or not.  

However if I remember correctly Buicks of this era used two tanks (radiator and windshield washer) and they are mounted on the radiator shroud and are rather integral to the underhood aesthetics 

If however your tank "blew apart" and it did so because of the huge force of expanding steam coming from the overflow tube, then you need to do more work with your cooling system before you worry about the bottle. 

Correct on there being another issue. Thermo was replaced.The tank is just 1 large one located on the front passenger inner fender..Tks.I was wanting to make sure that the tank could be replaced with something other than original,as finding a new one has been something I have not been able to find.The tank has the small hose on the top and a larger one at the bottom that goes back to the radiator just below the cap...

Trust me.  Your problem is not the thermostat.  When a thermostat does not open, the block overheats, not the radiator.  I think your problem is the radiator itself.  Have it cleaned out and the block flushed until the water runs clear.

• 2 weeks later...

Tks for the reply,been busy so this is not a timely reply,sorry..The car has a new rad now,no more over heating.New on the project was replacing the GM a6 cac compressor and switching it over to 134A..Now I'm wondering if anyone has a diagram for the under dash vacuum for the heat and ac ?

Everything under hood is functioning just fine,but I have no action under the dash.So I'm sure nothing is moving under there to activate the HVAC doors..Id anyone can guide me to a diagram it would be mush help..Tks

Maybe I should make a new thread but I'm not sure...

Tks

Get yourself a shop manual.

There is no substitute for the wealth of information inside it. All the vacuum diagrams and troubleshooting diagrams are in there. 

There are plenty of old car vendors but I have found that if you check eBay you can probably get one for $20- $40