Carb for a 1946 Dodge coupe fluid drive

Brooklyn Beer

Looking for the correct carb for a 1946 dodge coupe with fluid drive.  Was going to rebuild the one on it that is causing a stutter at between 1100-1200 rpm (Smooths right out at highway cruising speed) until running the numbers and found it was wrong.  Stromberg. It has a BXVD-2 when it should have a BXVD-3.  So would rather get the correct carb and go from there. This car is now 3 weeks new to me, had sat for many years, and am going through the bugs bit by bit.   Thanks in advance for any help

There is no record in the original Stromberg prints of a BXVD-2 carburetor.

If such an animal existed, the center-to-center spacing on the mounting bolts would be 2 11/16 inches. The BXVD-3 is 2 15/16 inches.

I have seen some of the type numbers which are not easy to read.

The actual carburetor number is STAMPED, not raised, looking straight down on the bowl cover of the carburetor. It should be a 3-something.

Jon.

Jon I scrubbed and cleaned and cannot find any number on the bowl.  But I did remove the gunk and see it is a BXVD-3 indeed with numbers below it being 382599.  I ordered the correct rebuild kit.  I cannot find though any books on tuning or rebuilding. Strombergs are new to me. Has a hesitation right now at take off from a stop while in gear with the fluid drive but will flat out get it after initial stutter. Running rich by the smell. I would start fine tuning this one before rebuilding it if I could find a link or book to guide me.  Like I said, strombergs are new to me and don't know where to begin especially with adjusting the dashpot.