poor starting sometimes

My car is a 1990 V6 with about 19,000 miles.  Sometimes, after starting, there is initial "choking" with very poor engine response when I start to drive.  If I stop and rev the engine a bit, the problem goes away. If I attempt to drive right off, the engine may die, but quickly restarts, usually with no further difficulty.  Never any problems once car running normally.  Does this sound like a problem with the fuel line or pump?  If so, is that a difficult fix?  Thanks for the help.

Mark

Could be a clogged fuel filter. That's really low miles, so the fuel doesn't get replaced regularly. Bad gas can cause poor running. Might even have varnish in the injectors, etc that cleans up after fuel has flowed over it for a little while.

Beyond that, you can check the codes and see if it set anything. Maybe it has a bad temp sensor that's throwing the computer off causing it to run too rich.

Mark, besides fuel problem, there is a possibility of a MAP sensor or TPS (sensor) . A 28 year old car could easily have a bad electrical component.  

Your description "choking" would make me think that the engine hesitates or stumbles when you step on the accelerator pedal.

This condition is usually caused by either of the 2 aforementioned components. 

When you start the engine initially, does it run making black smoke from the exhaust?

Thanks Hemi and Reaper1 for the responses.  Yes, the car hesitates when I step on the accelerator pedal.  However, I have not noticed any black smoke.  Once driving, no problems are encountered.  Will take to my local mechanic and see what he finds.  Many thanks.

Mark