1936 Studebaker Dictator info?

Hi, trying to find out what this car is worth,  any information would be helpful. All original, i believe it is original paint, definitely lacquer but seems like it was clear-coated at some point, original flathead straight 6, runs beautifully, new gas tank, new carpet, original seats, the headliner and door fabric seems too nice to be original, dad bought years ago, not sure how much he paid. Cant find another like it for sale online to make a a comparison, seems relatively rare, never seen one at a car show. I have fixed most everything that was wrong with it, i.e. windshield wiper motor, carpet, battery. Any ideas how much it is worth/ how rare it is? Thank you, Billy

DSC00825.JPG

DSC00826.JPG

DSC00827.JPG

DSC00828.JPG

DSC00829.JPG

DSC00830.JPG

I have a 38 State Commander that is all original paint, rebuilt engine and trans, rebuilt brakes and electrical, original door panels and headliner, rebuilt original philco radio. The seats have been redone and it is a driver not a show car. At best it is worth $15,- 16,500. I don’t know if mine is rarer than yours or not but I do not believe either would be much more valuable than the other. Hope that helps. 

Dave S 

Bill,

The paint is not original, Studebaker never used lacquer. I also doubt that the cars were two toned in this manner in 1936. I have seen some coupes that were two toned in 1936, but the color change was done along the body lines. Most cars in that era were a single color. Black fenders had fallen out of favor by the late 30's. I suppose the purchaser could have requested custom paint, but I have my doubts. 

BB are you sure about the lack of lacquer paint use by Studebaker?  I believe mine has lacquer on it but maybe wrong. The reason I think that it is lacquer is I had a gas  overflow spill and within minutes the paint was coming off. Again I could be totally wrong but if so what kind of paint is it?  

Dave S

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wrong on this one. Your beautiful 1938 must have been painted with lacquer, nitrocellulose was the standard paint used during the 30's.  I was mixing up Duco, with enamel, that would become the most commonly use paint post war and through the early 60's. I want to take the opportunity to say, how fortunate you are to have found such a beautiful original car.  It's pretty unusual to see an 80yo car that still looks that good after 80 years.

Thanks B.B.  a very dry barn up on blocks, covered and hundreds of moth ball in, around and under it. The right front fender and back by the gas filler need to be repainted. The fender has what looks like primer showing thru. Below the filler from fuel spills is the part I will repair as it has bear metal showing.  It’s only original once. 

Dave S