1910 Model 20 Ignition Switch

PMac

Would appreciate any feedback from 1909/early 1910 owners regarding the type of ignition switch fitted to the dash board of their car. My car (build number 1994) has a "General Plug Switch" made by the General Sales Co of Detroit (see first photo). This square shaped unit is made from bakelite, with brass internal contact blades and an etched brass cover. Its one moving part is a brass pin that slides from left to right. The center section of this pin is bare brass and the ends are insulated with bakelite. I initially thought this was incorrect for the car but on reading the Instruction Book for 1910, I am now not so sure. The instruction book advises the owner starting the car to "put the switch plug on center of the switch which later is located on the dash". This mimics the practical procedure for starting my car. In shutting down the engine the driver is instructed to "put the switch plug in the off or neutral position, which is done by shifting the plug to the extreme left". Again, this mimics the practical action required to shut my engine down. It would seem that early Model 20's used this switch plug while later cars used the Hupmobile script circular switch with key (see second photo). Thoughts from others?

Cheers,

Peter

Preview attachment IMG_1810.JPG

The first photo doesn't work for me, comes up with a Google sign in page.

Although I can't see the first switch you mention, I know exactly what it looks like, as there was one on my 1909 Sears Autobuggy.

I've never heard of that type of "plug" switch being used on a Hupmobile, but I'm not the expert on the fairly early cars.  I will say, your 1994 is an early 1910 as you mention, and I really believe that most, if not all, 1910's definitely had the mag/off switch.

By the way, in the picture you show, the knob to the right of that mag switch is incorrect for a Model 20.  I'd guess it's a choke knob, and the car has a Stromberg OF carb, or similar, retrofitted, thus the choke cable added.  It so happens that the 1911 Model 20 I have for sale now is so equipped.....

• 8 months later...