64 Telescoping Column Swap

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

I thought I saw someone mention that they had swapped a Cadillac tilt telescope column into their 1st Gen Riviera.  Anyone done it, have any reference to how it was done, or other information?

I'd like to keep my stock steering wheel as well.

Thanks

I have 64/65 columns in stock and am also working on a 63 Caddy for a customer now.  You could probably make the swap, but you'll lose the finned trim for sure and you'll need to figure out how to cover the hole for column shifter.  There may be a way to swap the "guts" of the telescopic set-up to a Riv column, but you would have to have both side by side and apart to tell

• 7 months later...

I might actually get to do this.  I found a semi local 66 Cadillac tilt/telescope column that some pulled for a project and then didn't quite get it back together in a working fashion.  I think I'm going to buy it and get to work on trying to hybridize it together with a stock column.  Hoping Mitch can help us out here with a donor column to play with in exchange for my stock one when I get this working.

Yeah, I have worked on 63, 64, 65 and 66 Caddy's and they hardly share a screw with anything else. They even have a bunch of mid year changes to contend with.  IMO, there is nothing on a Caddy I would want on a Riv.  If you still want to try something, I would maybe look at Pontiac Catalina's of 63/64 era.  Shared a couple parts and some similar engineering layout.