spare tire lock

kclark

I know I have read this somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now that I'm working on it. The key that I have fits the Tire lock, but doesn't unlock it. There should be a code on the lock somewhere but I don't see it. Where should the key code be? I may wind up unbolting the lock mount from underneath and taking it to the locksmith. ('29 Studebaker Dictator)

Edited by kclark (see edit history)

The key may be correct for the lock and does not work because of the swelling and deteriorating condition of the pot metal.   A lot of the parts on these cars were made with pot metal, also known as zinc die cast, and over time the casting will crack and swell cause parts like locks to stop working.  Other parts like door hands to break off when you turn the handle.   Sometimes, if you find a good locksmith who knows early locks can get your lock to work, however, some locks get so bad the lock cannot be saved.   

1 minute ago, Spinneyhill said:

I have exactly this problem in a locking door handle. I had a locksmith fix it 20 years ago and he pointed out that problem. But it has seized again.

Well, that's one problem that I don't have...None of my doors have locks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2017 at 3:58 PM, kclark said:

When all else fails, contact the professionals. The lock is boxed up and ready to send to Wallace Safe & Lock in Woodland, CA.

Wallace Safe says that the lock cylinder will not break loose to pick or to remove it. So I guess I'll be looking for a new lock.

3 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Maybe you can keep the lock housing and pull the lock barrel out of it with a slide hammer, like car thieves do to car ignition switches. Then just a new lock ....

Here is what Wallace Safe & Lock said

"Just talked to my tech about your lock. 
They cannot get the cylinder to break loose, to pick or remove it. They have tried soaking it in a solution with no change to the lock. We are out of options at this point. We can continue to soak the lock, but in the past its taken months to get something to break free. And at times never. 
Let me know if you'd like me to ship your lock back to you or continue working on it."

I'd also have to figure out where to get a new lock barrel that fits it.
Edited by kclark (see edit history)