Missing vin tag

Chevy-1950

I purchased a 1950 3100 that was from California .truck was registered. 

i did get a title and registration but the title has an engine number on it and that engine is long gone. I am not sure what will happen when I try to get it registered here in NY. The vin tag is missing also

Can the engine number be stamped on a vin tag? 

Thank you

Several vendors sell tag blanks so just get one and stamp the number on the title on it. Be aware that this number is also stamped on the top of the frame rail and non matching numbers can spell trouble.  We do this when a tag gets destroyed by the sandblaster and have no problem but some states might want some sort of official to do or inspect the stamping. Your 50 model 3100 will have the letters "HP" before the serial number.

IMG_4382.JPG

• 2 months later...

Most DMV’s are aware of this, just put it in your name and move forward.

you can have it inspected and pay the inspection fee if it makes you feel more secure, perhaps that’s the best way.

the DMV won’t be happy about the missing VIN plate.

also you can use a 3rd party DMV, that’s the best place to start asking questions.

good luck?

Hi all

Thanks for the reply

i called the original owner and he still had the original door tag. I now have the tag which is great

he also sent pictures of the engine pulled and pictures of the id on the engine. 

I talked to DMV and they are aware of these issues on these old vehicles. 

Kind regards