Chev 4, 4 speed truck gearbox

Vintageben

Don't know your plan goal or need.  It would be much easier to swap the box for a Borg/Warner T-5 transmission.  That would give you four speeds and 5th being overdrive.  A direct answer to your question, with enough money you can do anything.  I wouldn't want to invest to convert a 4 speed box into a three speed with 4th being overdrive.  The above mentioned swap is a much more feasible and reliable option.

Al

You should consider a "mid-ship" mounted overdrive unit.  Several modifications are available.  I have collected several Laycock OD units as they are a good type to modify into a mid-ship OD unit and are reliable .  That way you can keep your vintage transmission and yet when you are on the road, select your OD for a better gear for cruising.

Al

• 2 months later...

Hi ,

If its a Chev 4 truck then only 1928 has 4 wheel brakes. I can tell you from experience that a 1927 Chev 4 truck with and overdrive and 1929 Crown wheel and pinion rear end ratio and 3 port head is very hard to stop with two wheel rear brakes at 55 mph plus. So becareful what you wish for.

regards Dave