1973 Triumph stag vin decoder

Guest John maronich

• 5 months later...

Thats not a VIN - they didnt start until 1980, when the US demanded all cars imported there had a structured indentifier. You need to search BLMC for that chassis number, and I doubt it will tell you more than model type and production date, or maybe just week no in the year. UB and UO might give option information, like Manual or auto etc.

This page should help - https://rimmerbros.com/content--name-Triumph-Stag-Vehicle-Information

LE are Federal cars, from 1972 on,  UO suffix Federal with Overdrive, UB? Federal with BW type 35 auto.

jp 26 Rover 9

Edited by jp928 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

You can purchase a British Motor Industry Heritage Trust certificate from the British Motor Museum at:   https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive/heritage-certificates

I got one for my 1962 Triumph TR4 several years ago and it provides a wealth of information as applicable on your car to include: Commission number, Body number, Engine number, original color combination, options, key codes, date built, port shipped from,  dealer shipped to, and more.

• 3 weeks later...

Can I assume you are presenting two different numbers found on the Stag on two different number plates?

The Commission Number should be found on a metal plate attached to the left door pillar.  The year and month of manufacture should also be stamped on the Commission Number plate,  along with the original paint and trim codes.  This is what today is known as the VIN number and should be the number found on your registration.

A small plate attached to the front body crossmember beside the LH hood hinge is the body number and is of no value.  Is that the number with the UB suffix?  There are no Commission numbers that end with UB.

The number that ends with UO should be the Commission Number, and I believe the number ending with UB is the body number.  The Commission Number is also the reference number used in the original parts manual unless it specifically states a Body number for a part listing

I am still trying to figure out what a Federal Stag is vs a Non-Federal Stag, but the LE prefix means the car is a Federal Stag where LD would mean it was a Non-Federal Stag.  Not sure if LE means it meets US Federal requirements or just the Federal requirements for which ever country it was shipped to identified by the suffix.  In your case the LE means a US Federal Specifiation Stag. 

The Commission number UO suffix means the car is a "US Federal Specification" Stag fitted with an Overdrive Gearbox.  Other suffix codes identify cars with different types of Gearboxs, Kilometer/hr Speedometers, or Left vs Right hand drive.  Examples:  If it only had a U suffix then it would be a US Fed Spec car but not have an overdrive gearbox, or if it had a UBW Commission Number suffix then it would be a US Fed Spec car with a Type 35 gearbox.

The number between the LE and UO started with the number 1 for the first Stag built in 1971 and when up to 35722 built in 1977, so your car was the 23,622nd Stag built.

1973 Stags began with the number 20001 and ended with the number 25432.

The engine number should begin with a LE prefix and end with a UE or UEBW.  UE means it is a US Federal Spec engine whereas UEBW means it is a US Federal Spec engine with a type 35 Gearbox.  Since your Commission number suffix is UO then you should have an engine with a UE suffix.

Cars normally had different Commission, Body, and Engine numbers.  It is just by luck if any of these numbers have the same seven digit numbers between the prefix and suffix.

A British Motor Industry Heritage Trust certificate would provide you with the original Commission, Body, and Engine numbers for your Stag, when it left the factory.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)