1958 Citroen 2CV Van info and parts needed

Hello!

I am a new owner of a 1958 Citroen 2CV Van. As I work on getting it roadworthy, I've come across a couple of problems that I need help with.

1. One of the front hubs is quite broken (see pic.). This is an early 2CV and the spline pattern I need is the 8 raised square splines (also shown in pic.).

2. Next, I've discovered that the wheels that came with my little van are incorrect for the age. This was obvious when I saw where these wheels had been striking the suspension canister and the tie rod end on the front. Prior owner solved this by placing large washers on the wheel studs before putting the wheel on. Not an ideal fix. I would love to find a set of the early wheels.

3. I've also posted the identification plates from this van to see if anyone can decode them as to where this was built,  engine size, etc. I haven't been able to find any pictures of 2CVs with wheels that match my incorrect ones.

Thanks all for any information - and hopefully - a front hub and a set of wheels!

IMG_1050.JPG

P1020490.JPG

P1020488.JPG

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

Great! Thank you! Since I made the first post, I've found a front hub. I've also learned that the early wheels are extremely hard to find and that finding the slightly smaller dampers for the front will allow the new style 15" inch wheels to work. I found a pair of the front dampers (on ebay France!) but will continue to look for the correct wheels. I've attached a couple images I made up of questions I would love to have answered. Any help you can provide would be great. Bonjour!

InfoRequest2.jpg

InfoRequest.jpg

Thank you so much for all your help! I've already started browsing the links! Yes, it would be great to find the correct wheels if possible. I strive to keep things "original." Hope to hear from you again and I'll let you know how it progresses as I learn.

Hello, the person from the other forum just finished translating the text into English.
Here is the answer below :)   :

The car is an AZU type (1954-1970), U for Utilitaire (business). Built between 1954 and 1963, the original engine was an A, AZ or AZU 425 cc.

The other plate (engine plate) belongs to an AZM engine, still 425 cc but a tad more powerful, installed on AZ and AZU bodies between 1963 and 1970.

The amount of zeroes in the engine plate serial number may indicate it is a factory replacement engine.

The body serial number 601Z1687 fits an AZU built in the Citroën factory of Forest, Belgium, in 1956 - the first character 6 stands for 1956.

Like many postwar cars, the 2CV had 15" wheels, with 3 bolts (135R15 tires). I don't think they ever featured large holes like the ones on the picture.

Instrument panel :

transmission pattern : AR for marche arrière (reverse), S for surmultipliée (overdrive).

Switches : difficult to tell, there may have been patterns specific to the factory in Belgium. An interesting website (in French) about this factory : http://www.lesfillesdeforest.be/V2004/default.htm

And here is another answer from another person but translated by google translator :

Then Regarding the turntable with the hole to the right of the steering wheel under the windscreen, it was the turn signal control (perhaps even the arrows for the oldest) for the change of direction (one indicator located per side in height behind The door AR) = it was a lever switch similar to the two that we see on each side of the amperemeter), it was tilted on the side where it was turned and it had a spring timer which brought it back alone by Position Zero with a noisy crease type (so automatic return to zero: D) it seems to me that the system was flashing

I think the two rockers on either side of the amperemeter are a DIY to replace this system to each control a flashing side,

(Unless there is a Belgian design feature, or for other country homologation reasons if there is also a flashing front light)

"Up and down" on the commodo, it was lights crossing / road lights, and this button had 2 positions while turning: lights position and headlights.

Originally this 2 CV had only a rear light on the left (the 2 lights were not yet mandatory)

For the rims, I think that they come from a version of a few years more recent type "friend 6", or 3CV or close in luxury finish), because they have the central threaded hole to fix a small hubcap Trace), the first 2CV had no hubcap and not this hole in the center of the rim

I am in your debt, sebastienbuick! It is great to know what those shift markings are now. Must brush up on my French! I have since discovered that the two switches at the top of my instrument panel operate cables which in turn operate the left and right side ventilation/heat ducts. Since my van is missing some of the cables and mechanisms, it wasn't obvious to me until I took a closer look.  The question I have now is this: the "6" beginning my serial number was also confirmed from another source as being 1956. Why then is the same identification plate stamped 1958? Did it sit around a bit before being sold and then given that year?

• Like 1

Hello, i am looking for my answer to your question and i will inform you as soon as i have news :)

If you are interested, the weekend of 25 August to 27 August  there is an old car show not far from home.
On Saturday there is a purse of car parts (and there will be with luck of the parts for 2cv) and on Sunday it is an exhibition of old car.

"  The question I have now is this: the "6" beginning my serial number was also confirmed from another source as being 1956. Why then is the same identification plate stamped 1958? Did it sit around a bit before being sold and then given that year?  "

réponse :

"The body serial number (1687 out of 2020 made in Belgium in 1956) indicates that the car was assembled at the end of 1956. Either it was sold at the end of 1957 as a 1958 model, or the plate was restamped - the characters 5 and 8 are larger than the other ones. The car may be an export model, too, that took months to reach the US and more to be sold"

4 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:

réponse :

"The body serial number (1687 out of 2020 made in Belgium in 1956) indicates that the car was assembled at the end of 1956. Either it was sold at the end of 1957 as a 1958 model, or the plate was restamped - the characters 5 and 8 are larger than the other ones. The car may be an export model, too, that took months to reach the US and more to be sold"

That makes sense. I looked more closely and I can see a smaller "5" beneath the the larger one in the 1958.

I would love to attend a French car show and swap meet to hunt for parts but that's a little far away for me. I doubt there will ever be any Citroen parts at the few shows near my home!

3 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:

Is what you allow me to send pictures of your car on the other forum so that it is easier for the search for information?
thank you

You may certainly post my pictures - and thank you for asking. I've had some people guess that my instrument panel may not be original, perhaps even homemade. I don't think so. Having the two switches operate the heater vents seems to puzzle people. I would like to find out if this was an original feature.

You have been so kind and a great source of information. Just one more reason I enjoy the AACA forums!

• Like 1

Interesting, yet different. The remains of the turn signal switch in my van were in that bracket by itself off to the right of the instrument panel. Hopefully tomorrow or the next day I'll have time to get in behind my instrument panel to see what I can learn. Again, many thanks!

Nice looking truck! And it has the correct wheels!

I looked a little closer at my instrument panel and am still not convinced that it is homemade. The portion that has the shift pattern has it displayed right in the center which is something I haven't been able to find a photo elsewhere of. This panel is definitely factory and those two knobs at the top left and right sure look original the way they operate the left and right heater vents.

My front fenders also have covered over spots where further lights (turn signals?) were once placed. I love a good mystery.

I now have the brakes completely redone as well as wheel bearings and seals on the rear. Brake and clutch pedal assemblies are cleaned up, painted, and reinstalled. Next will be coil, plugs, and wires (new points only if it doesn't go) and I'll see if I can get it to run. Stay tuned...

• Like 1

Hello, congratulations for your good work ;)
If you have any other question, do not hesitate to ask me ;).
If there is a piece you do not find, if next Saturday has the purse of parts, do you want me to take it?
Or I would take a picture of the parts and I would send it to you otherwise.
I will send you a link from a video from last year's show.
good continuation

The videos are great! Looks like quite a show. As to parts needed, I'd better hold off until I know exactly what's correct and what isn't on my van. Having a bit of trouble getting it to start - most likely due to my amateur status as a mechanic! Skilled help will arrive next week!

I would love any pictures of the interior and under the hood of the older 2cvs like mine.

Thanks zipdang ;)
Today I am going to an old car show near my home and there was a 2cv citroen which was almost the same year as yours.
I think about you and made some pictures, I will put it on the forum in the week, and I will also put all the photos of this exhibition on the forum.
I also ask a person to inform you for you, I have to ask to find the original 1958 2cv wheels and he gave me an internet links.
I will put it as soon as possible on the forum.

Hello, yes thank you I enjoy this car show :).
Here is a well known links in france or we find any parts for 2cv:

https://www.mehariclub.com/welcome.do;jsessionid=E1801860F5BB34D5D8E615F4583C81F5

And here is another link from a 2cv magazine that I saw in store and I remember the name and number : ( planete 2cv , number 118 )

http://2cvmedias.fr/produit/planete-2cv-n-118-16-pages-supplementaires/

I look at this book in magazin and I advise you, there is not one that looks like yours but did not quite the same year.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got it ready to go, except for one little thing... It won't start!

My good friend and expert mechanic Dave spent 3 hours with me last Friday morning and the end result of all the testing and trying is that there just isn't enough compression to get it to fire. Probably a combination of worn, dry rings and a lengthy storage time. We've got the cylinders filled with Sea Foam engine treatment in the hopes that it will get things cleaned up a bit and lubricated this week. On Saturday, we're going to try giving it a tow to get the engine up to speed and see if that won't kick it into life. If that fails, it will be time for engine work. Nothing like some old school tricks just to see if they might work.