zipdang

1958 Citroen 2CV Van info and parts needed

Hello, congratulations for your good work ;)
If you have any other question, do not hesitate to ask me ;).
If there is a piece you do not find, if next Saturday has the purse of parts, do you want me to take it?
Or I would take a picture of the parts and I would send it to you otherwise.
I will send you a link from a video from last year's show.
good continuation

The videos are great! Looks like quite a show. As to parts needed, I'd better hold off until I know exactly what's correct and what isn't on my van. Having a bit of trouble getting it to start - most likely due to my amateur status as a mechanic! Skilled help will arrive next week!

I would love any pictures of the interior and under the hood of the older 2cvs like mine.

Thank you once again. Even if no one else chimes in on this topic, I've certainly enjoyed and valued your time and effort.

Thanks zipdang ;)
Today I am going to an old car show near my home and there was a 2cv citroen which was almost the same year as yours.
I think about you and made some pictures, I will put it on the forum in the week, and I will also put all the photos of this exhibition on the forum.
I also ask a person to inform you for you, I have to ask to find the original 1958 2cv wheels and he gave me an internet links.
I will put it as soon as possible on the forum.

Hello, yes thank you I enjoy this car show :).
Here is a well known links in france or we find any parts for 2cv:

https://www.mehariclub.com/welcome.do;jsessionid=E1801860F5BB34D5D8E615F4583C81F5

And here is another link from a 2cv magazine that I saw in store and I remember the name and number : ( planete 2cv , number 118 )

http://2cvmedias.fr/produit/planete-2cv-n-118-16-pages-supplementaires/

I look at this book in magazin and I advise you, there is not one that looks like yours but did not quite the same year.

Here are the links where I put the pictures of the exhibition on the forum.
There are some photos of a 2cv which is almost the year of yours (it is an older model, it is for its that the dashboard is not the same)

Always glad to hear from you! Thank you for the link for another possible parts supply. I'll now go to the general discussion and view your post there.

• Like 1

Hello, I come to take news :).
Have you done any other work on the 2cv? Have you had other worries?
have a good day ;)

I've got it ready to go, except for one little thing... It won't start!

My good friend and expert mechanic Dave spent 3 hours with me last Friday morning and the end result of all the testing and trying is that there just isn't enough compression to get it to fire. Probably a combination of worn, dry rings and a lengthy storage time. We've got the cylinders filled with Sea Foam engine treatment in the hopes that it will get things cleaned up a bit and lubricated this week. On Saturday, we're going to try giving it a tow to get the engine up to speed and see if that won't kick it into life. If that fails, it will be time for engine work. Nothing like some old school tricks just to see if they might work.

Hello, a pity : / , good luck for the continuation.
Have you watched if the carburetor was properly attached to the intake pipe? Because if the carburetor is not properly joining it makes an air intake and the gasoline does not arrive.
good luck ! ;)

Yes, we checked that - and a bunch of other stuff, too!

It runs! We flushed out the Sea Foam from the cylinders and took another compression check. This time it was showing great compression. After this, we towed it behind friend Dave's truck to get the engine spinning and it finally started. There was no power at all though. We stopped and did some checking to find it wasn't firing on one of the cylinders. Knowing that, it actually ran pretty good on just one cylinder! The culprit was the NEW coil I had just purchased. I refitted the old untested coil and it still worked and I was off and running. I've tried to attach a video of it running - without the front fenders (wings) - so I hope you can see it!

IMG_3177.m4v

Edited by zipdang (see edit history)

thanks for the video ! ;)
it's nice to see her ride and more in america! :) 
it was the reel that did not work, you handed the original one of the shot to roll?
in any case you live in a nice place, I find the streets and sign "main street" beautiful 
:wub:
I wish you a good walk with the 2cv;)

Glad you liked the video! I now have the fenders on and am ready to figure out why the generator (dynamo) is not charging the battery.

The town I live in (Radnor) is little more than a crossroads. The Main St. is a bit funny as it is less than a quarter mile long with six houses, a post office, a church, and a small barn! There is no commerce in Radnor. We do love the quiet here and we're only about 8 miles from the town of Delaware, Ohio which is much bigger.

• Like 1

This van reminded me of a 2CV that Peter Sellers had trouble driving in one scene from The Return of The Pink Panther

These movie clips brought a smile to my face this morning! I'm unfamiliar with the crazy-driving nun, but love the Pink Panther! Thank you both!

• Like 1