RetroJohnny

What to do about driver door:(

RetroJohnny    19
2 hours ago, Imperial62 said:

Remember Marck has had to put in labor to remove, determine value, carefully store (at cost).  What may be seen as a bargain on ebay may or may not be, whereas Marck is one of us and would back up what he provides.  I know Jim would too.  And Marck and I are not necessarily on speaking or PM'ing terms.  I just think I would go to one of "our" guys over an ebayer, if the difference is $50 to $150. 

It looks like your insurer is going to give you a lot of money for your car, wow.  Is that for the whole car or an estimated repair of the door?  

Well my body shop guy quoted that the repair for the dented door would cost 3,200 for some ridiculous reason and he sent that to state farm. and they estimated that the current value of my Reatta is about 3,500 dollars. And I don't know how those insurance companies work but they just decided they will give me a check for 3,700 and let me make the decision. So I guess this could maybe be a blessing in disguise? B)

• Haha 1

89RedDarkGrey    252

Yes, that's how it works.

The Body Guy knows his stuff- but don't be fooled. A quality repair is going to be easily $1k. The route I suggested to take- will cost maybe $1k to $1.8k. Maybe slightly more. A "complete" door is the easiest- but most costly choice.

Digger914    171

With all the conversing about this one little door, I had to check the EBay price for the black door from J & J against the locator price and to my surprise the EBay price was lower.  Think they might be clearing out stock and they could be ready to take a best offer price.

• Like 1

89RedDarkGrey    252

RetroJohnny- have you called the Yards around your TN area yet? Because of the weight ("complete" door is about ~100 lbs. and a "shell" is about ~85 lbs.) the S&H is the killer. If you get it yourself- you'd save $$.

Digger914- what was the eBay price for that black door + S&H ?

Digger914    171
47 minutes ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

RetroJohnny- have you called the Yards around your TN area yet? Because of the weight ("complete" door is about ~100 lbs. and a "shell" is about ~85 lbs.) the S&H is the killer. If you get it yourself- you'd save $$.

$360.00 down 10% from the $400 listed price.

• Thanks 1

RetroJohnny    19
4 hours ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Yeah I called 3 so far, none have any Reattas in stock, so i'm afraid there is a road trip ahead or shipping prices

• Sad 1

Digger914    171

Looking at that glass it's one good sneeze away from becoming a million small pieces. Masking off the inner door opening really helps to keep the glass out of the carpet, lot easier to keep it out than it is to clean it out and spreading a tarp now is better than sweeping later.

Road trips for parts can be fun, more fun when the part you go looking for turns out to be better than expected, not as much fun when it doesn't. Can't advise on where to get the best available part, get most of my parts closer to home, only done business with one yard in Ohio and it's not the one that has your door. Didn't know there was a Portland in Tennessee until a couple days ago. 

89RedDarkGrey    252
1 hour ago, RetroJohnny said:

Yeah I called 3 so far, none have any Reattas in stock, so i'm afraid there is a road trip ahead or shipping prices

This is a screen shot, from my computer, showing the listed results of what Digger914 suggested http://car-part.com/

There are 4 listed.

Go to the site, fill out info: FRONT DOOR.  I just did it again. You call, ask about the Stock#, not a whole car.

5983f8b02e002_STEP01.thumb.jpg.aa251b14f76a8f26ca30c8c98230899a.jpg

5983f8cbf067f_STEP02.thumb.jpg.b482ccbf68594f6e2615351f9c506c59.jpg

5983f8e42d8ce_STEP3.thumb.jpg.c67ad0fe8021ac7802512816eb848481.jpg

The closest to "Memphis, TN 37501" is 79 MILES away. Go pick one up, your choice, save the S&H cost.

I guess you DON'T live near a Yard like some do. Oh, well.

At least we're trying!

OH- AND HERE'S GLASS, TOO! CAN'T BEAT THESE PRICES:)

5983fda13abe5_L_FRONTDOORGLASS.thumb.jpg.0513112bd4579a24c72790635a1fddcc.jpg

BRING A BUDDY, PACK A COOLER- ROAD TRIP.  221 MILES 1-WAY HAS THE DOOR AND GLASS.

Edited by 89RedDarkGrey (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Imperial62    338
20 hours ago, RetroJohnny said:

Well my body shop guy quoted that the repair for the dented door would cost 3,200 for some ridiculous reason and he sent that to state farm. and they estimated that the current value of my Reatta is about 3,500 dollars. And I don't know how those insurance companies work but they just decided they will give me a check for 3,700 and let me make the decision. So I guess this could maybe be a blessing in disguise? B)

No S**t !  Man I am going to go out and beat on my driver's door!  (Just kidding).   You can overspend now to get the best door possible and or a nice used door and have a shop install, let them take their time.  I personally would not want to deal with a shop that priced $3200 because that tells me they don't really want to do it and they don't have someone qualified to do it, or both.

I had a 1995 Mercedes SL500 convertible that the power convertible top stopped working and the Mercedes dealer wanted $7500 to rebuild everything and install.  The service advisor pulled me aside and said quietly "no one really wants to do it, but since you needed a quote, we gave you one." 

I would expect an R & R (remove and replace) of that door to be 3 hours at $100 per hour.  Prep and paint maybe another 3 hours.  Paint and consummables $200 ??  So I am at $900 to $1000 and just add $500 because I may be off and you are at $1500.   Plus door costs of $300 or so.

Then pocket the $1300 difference for future maintenance costs or whatever. 

Edited by Imperial62 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

89RedDarkGrey    252
2 hours ago, Imperial62 said:

I personally would not want to deal with a shop that priced $3200 because that tells me they don't really want to do it and they don't have someone qualified to do it, or both.

Most likely- they're trying to pocket your check. Scuff, putty, seal, color match paint should be $300 or so. How DIY savvy are you? Heck- with the help of a Friend, this Forum & ROJ- you could reassemble it all yourself in a few hours, save even more.

89RedDarkGrey    252

Well- here's info on that black eBay door  http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-89-90-91-BUICK-REATTA-Left-Front-Door-/162553746495?fits=Make%3ABuick|Model%3AReatta&hash=item25d8f5543f:g:IGMAAOSwyltZQZC-&vxp=mtr   that you were looking at.

I logged into my eBay, contacted the seller about TOTAL cost with freight S&H to Memphis, TN 37501. Here is his email response:

Reatta Door space.gif

space.gifJamie Brown show image slideshow
From space.gifJamie Brown jamie@jnjoh.com

Good Morning ,

Shipping would be $165 to a commercial address with a forklift or towmotor to unload the pallet off the truck or to a local freight terminal via Central Transport closest to your residence. The total cost out the door is $525

Thanks 

Jamie Brown

J & J Auto Wrecking Inc
8558 Black Diamond Rd
Marshallville, OH 44645
1-800-425-1555 Fax 330-855-2940
Edited by 89RedDarkGrey (see edit history)
  • Like 1

RetroJohnny    19
On 8/4/2017 at 0:10 PM, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Well- here's info on that black eBay door  http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-89-90-91-BUICK-REATTA-Left-Front-Door-/162553746495?fits=Make%3ABuick|Model%3AReatta&hash=item25d8f5543f:g:IGMAAOSwyltZQZC-&vxp=mtr   that you were looking at.

I logged into my eBay, contacted the seller about TOTAL cost with freight S&H to Memphis, TN 37501. Here is his email response:

Reatta Door space.gif

space.gifJamie Brown show image slideshow
From space.gifJamie Brown jamie@jnjoh.com

Good Morning ,

Shipping would be $165 to a commercial address with a forklift or towmotor to unload the pallet off the truck or to a local freight terminal via Central Transport closest to your residence. The total cost out the door is $525

Thanks 

Jamie Brown

J & J Auto Wrecking Inc
8558 Black Diamond Rd
Marshallville, OH 44645
1-800-425-1555 Fax 330-855-2940

Thank you so much for that! And to answer your question, no I am not going to that Body Shop guy, you are correct, that price is a little exaggerated! I will most likely be buying that black door and having it shipped to my father's work, Advance Auto because that has a towmotor and they said it would be okay to be shipped there. I will take all working components out of my door, along with a new window regulator and window and do the whole installation myself (my father may have to help a little :D) Then after the new door and what not is installed I am going to take it to a paint shop in the city, I have a few in mind, and let them just re-paint the whole car red and put new gold pin-striping on. Then I will have to take it back to where I got the car tinted and have that new window tinted.. I hope to see this car as it was seen back in the 80's, like I can't imagine how that new paint is going to shine! Very Excited about that.. But as of now all I can do is plan and wait for a check.

Digger914    171
1 hour ago, RetroJohnny said:

Thank you so much for that! And to answer your question, no I am not going to that Body Shop guy, you are correct, that price is a little exaggerated! I will most likely be buying that black door and having it shipped to my father's work, Advance Auto because that has a towmotor and they said it would be okay to be shipped there. I will take all working components out of my door, along with a new window regulator and window and do the whole installation myself (my father may have to help a little :D) Then after the new door and what not is installed I am going to take it to a paint shop in the city, I have a few in mind, and let them just re-paint the whole car red and put new gold pin-striping on. Then I will have to take it back to where I got the car tinted and have that new window tinted.. I hope to see this car as it was seen back in the 80's, like I can't imagine how that new paint is going to shine! Very Excited about that.. But as of now all I can do is plan and wait for a check.

While you have everything out of the black door and before you attach it to the car, clean up and paint that part of the door that you can see when it's open. Even a  scuff up rattle can paint job there will look a lot better five years from now than a color change jam job done after it's on the car with weather strip and door panel in place.

• Like 2

89RedDarkGrey    252
2 hours ago, RetroJohnny said:

Then after the new door and what not is installed I am going to take it to a paint shop in the city, I have a few in mind, and let them just re-paint the whole car red and put new gold pin-striping on

12 minutes ago, Digger914 said:

While you have everything out of the black door and before you attach it to the car, clean up and paint that part of the door that you can see when it's open. Even a  scuff up rattle can paint job there will look a lot better five years from now than a color change jam job done after it's on the car with weather strip and door panel in place

100% AGREED. YOU HAVE TIME? DO STUFF RIGHT. DON'T ENTIRELY RELY ON A BODY SHOP.

As I stated earlier- the lock cylinders and door handles have rubber gaskets, that can not be masked off. You must get the door (and car) painted with certain things removed. Parking light modules, tail light modules, inside door panels, rear "Reatta" emblem, door window sills, etc. DO NOT REMOVE THE HOOD EMBLEM. You will already have one door ready. Walmart has THESE that will scuff the jams and edges of all nicely (surface prep is the most important part). The best thing you could do for your car- and your choice Body Shop- is to get everything removed, wash the whole car with HOT water and baking soda 1/4 cup to a gallon, and scuff the entire car, paying extra attention to all edges (hood, doors, trunk, wheel wells, etc. to help remove anything built up. Rinse well. Tell them you want a "scuff and shoot", 2 base, 2 clear, and stress that the front fenders and headlight doors are PLASTIC COMPOSITE.

Doing this work will save you at least $100, and you'll have the peace of mind the edges won't check and peel.