57 Top Won't Go Down

Hello, I recently inherited my father's Skyliner. I have a 1957 Ford manual that includes the Thunderbird and Skyliner as well as others. A friend used it to look up info on the gas tank, but it's not in the same location, and I was informed there are specific Skyliner manuals. 

I ordered the one specific for the roof, but does anyone else know if a specific Skyliner manual exists and where I could buy one?

Thank you in advance for your help!

I don't know specifically where to get a skyliner manual. Either under or behind the back seat is a metal box. Inside that metal box are a bunch of relays. They look exactly like Ford starter solenoids, and that may be what they are. The relays operate the motors that make the top go down.

In broad general terms, It works like this: The first motor will begin the top lowering process. When the it gets to a certain point, it trips a switch. That switch triggers one of the relays in the box. The relay turns on the next motor. That motor lowers the top further, and when it gets far enough it trips another little switch. That switch in turn trips another relay, which turns another motor on to lower the top even further. This process repeats until you run out of relays and motors, and the top is down and inside the trunk.

Best of luck with it :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

I don't know specifically where to get a skyliner manual. Either under or behind the back seat is a metal box. Inside that metal box are a bunch of relays. They look exactly like Ford starter solenoids, and that may be what they are. The relays operate the motors that make the top go down.

In broad general terms, It works like this: The first motor will begin the top lowering process. When the it gets to a certain point, it trips a switch. That switch triggers one of the relays in the box. The relay turns on the next motor. That motor lowers the top further, and when it gets far enough it trips another little switch. That switch in turn trips another relay, which turns another motor on to lower the top even further. This process repeats until you run out of relays and motors, and the top is down and inside the trunk.

Best of luck with it :)

Thank you Bloo! 

Good news is there was a switch we had to turn on under the dash. She works now, but the battery I have isn't strong enough for a smooth operation. (Bought a new one at Napa and it's smaller than the original I replaced. I ordered a better one. Thanks to some help from a friend here on AACA who helped me sort it out.