Adjusting valves solid lifters

broker-len

•  
  • broker-len
  • Members
  • 724 posts

I have read on this forum to put the piston at TDC and adjust intake and exhaust     others say to rotate motor till one valve begins to open and set the other and when it closes the other-------------I have a 31 plymouth-------------------looking for suggestions and why------------------thank you in advance

I was thinking 6 cyl but a 4 cyl works with the rule of 9. For an 8-valve 4-cyl engine the principle is "rule of nine". If no. 1 is down, i.e valve open, adjust 8, if 2 is down adjust 7, and so on. In all circumstances there will be two valves open at any one time, turn the engine by fan belt, spanner on crankshaft nut, or jabs of the starter. For a 6-cyl engine, same principle but rule of 13.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

thanks again        as stated      it is hard enough to adjust with the manifold on and carb off       I guess I could put everything on and run motor till hot then take off carb and valve cover and try to adjust before the block cools down     my owner's manual does give cold setting but also suggests to adjust hot