Mechanic in Chicago far western suburb

Beffou

I am the proud owner of a 1947 LC coupe and a 1948 Lincoln convertible. I am searching for a qualified mechanic to work on the V12 engines. My 47 LC has smoke coming out of the breather cap. The engine when pressing the accelerator is begging for air. Any help on a local name would be greatly appreciated and if someone can explain the smoke from the breather cap and on how to adjust the carburetor would also be great.

The smoke coming from the breather cap is caused by combustion products blowing past the rings. This could be caused by a worn engine. A compression test will help determine the cause.

The only adjustment on the carburetor is for idle mixture. You did not say how your car idles.

I do not know a competent mechanic to work on your V-12. Every time I try a recommended mechanic, the car comes back to me in worse shape than when I left it at the shop. Last time I tried a mechanic, I asked him to straighten the accelerator pedal rod on my 53 Lincoln, so the pedal would not stick when I floored it. When I left the car, it would idle smoothly at 450 RPM and drove nicely. When I picked it up, he said there was nothing wrong with the rod, the problem was in  the carburetor and he fixed it.

I started the car and noticed that the cold idle was higher than when I had left it, but my wife had to get to an appointment and she needed to follow me home, so I started for home. After the engine warmed up, I could hardly stop the car in drive, the engine speed was way too high. When I got home, I put my dwell meter on to check the engine speed and the idle speed was set to 1,500 RPM. I took off the air cleaner to set the idle speed and noticed that the choke was only half open. I checked the choke linkage and saw that it was bent. I straightened it and adjusted the idle, but I  could not get the idle below 600 RPM with out the engine dyeing and there was black smoke coming out of the exhaust. Gas was dripping from the float bowl. I checked the float level and it was 1/8" too high. After adjusting that, I could adjust the idle to 500 RPM. I took it for a test drive, floored the pedal to kick down the transmission and the pedal stuck. So I wrote a nice letter and asked for a refund, and was told that he did not give refunds, but would repair my car again. I guess that I must look very stupid or why would he think that I would let him within 50 ft of my car.

So if you find a good mechanic, let me know. My Lincoln is about due for points and condenser.

I can also tell a couple of horror stories.  I am also in a Western Suburb looking for someone to rebuild my engine in my 41 Continental.  A friend also has a 41 and the told me this.  "Allen Wolf at Stan's Mobile gas
station in Batavia. He is an excellent mechanic and is familiar with the
flat head V8's and V12's. Just give him a call at 630 879 0999.

I have spoken with him and he sounds ok.  But, they have no place to keep the dar overnight inside and they are kind of far for me.  If you try him or find one else good.  Please let me know.

Built Rite  in Lombard has done quite a few flat head V-8 engines for people in the EFV8 Club and the IMOA club. There have been some complaints, but most of the complaints have been addressed and fixed to the owner's satisfaction.

http://www.builtriteengine.com/

Another flat head rebuilder is Mike Yank at

1205 Karl Court # 103
Wauconda, IL 60084
Phone: (847) 487-7223

I used Mike Yank about 30 years ago and was satisfied with the rebuild that he did. I don't have the car any more, but it ran well while I had it.

Tom Bowler in Mchenry is one I can also recommend: 773-953-1746.

Ethical, club member and fair, known Tom for years.  Might be far to go but it might be worth it.