Headlamp Switch Assembly - Repair

Guest ceklee48076

Guest ceklee48076

The dash light dimmer lever was snapped off over time on the Headlamp Switch Assembly.  Since I may be taking the Dash apart (again - separate thread on jammed cassette), I may replace the otherwise working switch.  Does anyone have any for sale or rebuild them?

Chris

'90 Red (one owner)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what is broken inside of an '91 Headlight switch, if your Parking Light Switch won't 'Click-down and stay down, to leave parking lights on?

The headlight switch tilts and clicks-down as it should, but I couldn't see what was missing or broken on the "Parking lights" switch. Something wrong under the little white piece, I know, but what??

Also none of the Button Lights are working, so a picture or diagram, or schematic of the headlight switch would be awesome - and since I haven't been able to get repair manuals yet - could someone be so nice as to send me the dash wiring diagram? (giantfoamsales at gmail) And while I do have the diagrams for the engine compartment I can't find the dash or body wiring diagram anywhere. My local library gave all of their "Old" Automotive repair manuals to a "Trade High school" in the area, so I missed out there. 

Thanks for all of your help guys - I really do appreciate it! - And I'm loving this car more and more every time I drive it. 

Jerome

There are a lot oif little parts in the switch and one has to be careful in opening it up as some are spring loaded and will fly. There are two parts that look the same but one is slightly different then another and will not work if they are reversed. As you might surmise I took one apart and couldn't get it back together again so found a friend [McReatta who has now left the forum] who rebuilt it for other "considerations". I know that Jim Finn has a switch exchange program and that kdirk rebuilds them for a price. 

You might want to try either of them, they might be able to help you. 

In regards to the light that is easy [if the bulbs are burnt out]. If you turn the switch over you will see three holes in the back. In those holes are bulbs that are removed with a flat blade screwdriver. The headlight switch also controls the backlighting on the headlight switch, radio, and temperature control. If that part of the headlight switch is bad there is no backlighting either.

I recommend you either get another switch or have yours rebuilt. Both Kevin and Jim have them. I get those switches [91 Reatta or 90-93 Riviera] and use them for parts for the 1990 Reatta headlight switch which is a one year only Reatta only part. At this time I do not have any 91 Reatta switches although there is one at Gibson's [the local You Pick I go to] that looks good except that the head light button is scratched up so I left it. I did get a Instrument cluster that works great and has a "United Radio" rebuild sticker on it. All the lights work and it is available.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

If you need a 91 switch  (I gather that by your username) I have several available. PM me here or email sansuiman@yahoo.com. I usually offer a credit for repairable cores if in decent cosmetic condition.

• Like 2