Aluminum Extrusions

Curti

There are many companies that can make the extrusions, but I doubt you want to pay for the dies and the minimum run of material when the market for the parts isn't very large.  But, try Googling "short run aluminum extrusions" and see some choices.  Extrusions are usually 6063 aluminum.

Here's one shop that might be a place to start:  http://aluminumprototypes.com/services/aluminum-extrusions.php

On the other hand, you could probably have them machined from bar stock for only a few parts.  Whether extruded or machined, you still need to be able to bend them, so avoid using 6061 at T6 hardness.  The real tricky thing will be bending the parts without collapsing the shape.  Hopefully, they only need to be bent in one plane.  They will bend easier if you warm them with a torch while bending, but practice on some cheap bar stock first.  Polish them after bending and get them anodized.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

Thanks Gary !  I hate to reinvent the wheel. I am in hopes that others that have restored closed cars have had a need for such things.   

I have found that heating and quenching the AL. is a good way to make bends . Works with work hardened brass and copper too. 

Curt I got the rain gutter for my 1932 Auburn from Gerald Landoll at L & L Antique Auto Trim years ago. It looks like the original but is thicker and hard to bend. Unfortunately Gerald passed away but his son (sorry can't remember his name) took over the business. For his son it is a part time job and I understand sometimes it takes a while for him to respond. A quick Google search came up with this address and phone number;

L & L Antique Auto Trim 

Auto restoration service in Pierce City, Missouri
Address: 403 N Spruce St, Pierce City, MO 65723

If you ask he will probably send you a small piece of scrap to look at.

Carl
  • Like 1