geo91 '62 Skylark race car

Guest geo91

in response to mrearl on the 300c.i. buick engine  the car we raced was in a 1962 skylark which came with a 215c.i. all aluminum engine we raced  that engine for two seasons did ok not the fastes car but other then a mild cam pretty much stock . we raced on a quater mile blacktot oval track.the car was lighter then most of the chevs fords and mopars so we handeled a little better .most of our competion had a lot more money shoved in their engines we also had a little bit of a overheating problem but all in all a dependable little engine . in the third season we put the 300c.i. engine much more power but handling went away did a little better the with the 215 but the extra weight of the 300 definatly changed handeling in a negative way. we ran that engine 2 or 3 seasons and got out of racing .about the 300 it was a cast block aluminum heads and intake11:1 compression from the factory that was the 1964 engine in 65&66 the 300 was all cast and alittle less comp. the engine had 355lbs. of torque 255h.p. so yes your right the aluminum heads & intake were one year 1964 thanks for the interest 

geo91

Edited by MrEarl
Edit title subject (see edit history)

yes in reply to mrearl & johnd1956 we were suprised at the handeling problem but thinking back,the 300 sat proubly 6" ahead plus we had to put in alittle stiffer springs so the combo changed more then we thought . as far as using original mounts ,yes i beleive we could use the originals .but if i remember right the mounting holes on the 300 block were more to the center of the block which is why the motor sat futher ahead. ther could have been other issues but just dont recall seening this was in mid 1970s as far as tranmission 3sd. manual running in 2nd gear and pictures maybe  a couple but back then we had a big poleroid no smart phones   i had a friend that  took some viedo with 8mm i guess but i asked him through the years but  he could never come up with it th track was in east central wis 141 spdway