1948 Windsor Flasher

Guest 48windsor14

Guest 48windsor14

Hello I was wondering if anyone knows what position the wires belong on the turn signal flasher? Also what color wires go on the flasher? Thanks in advanced.

I think I have this figured out.  First of all, the pictures attached are from a 1946 Windsor that I'm slowly taking parts off of and from from my car.  The first wire diagram is from the shop manual and the second is from an unknown source, possibly a Motors book.  I have a third diagram from a third party but it offers very little value added other than being in color (often wrong colors and with mistakes).

I have to say this about my car so that the following info has context.  Somebody screwed the the wiring a little.  After getting into the cars, I've realized that it looks like the original harness are all still there but some some wires that aren't in harnesses or the ends of some wires have been replaced.  Additionally, my harness runs in the wrong spot, which makes things messy and confusing.  I'm assuming that nearly all of the 1946 car is all original with the exception of some switches, and in this case, the flasher as well.  

If I can be so bold...I think there is a mistake in the shop manual's wire diagram.  The "white" wire going from the flasher to the connector and up to the turn signal switch should be "red."  I say this for two reasons.  First, the 1946 car has a red wire in that spot.  Secondly, my flasher has an identical red wire coming off the flasher; it the same length and end terminal but it goes nowhere.  The wire that is in the place of where I think the red wire should go in the connector is a plain yellow wire with no tracers; it goes through the firewall but not in the harness and has multiple wires spliced off.  Although that yellow wire is spliced, they are in the original style and cloth wrapped but it goes nowhere.  I'm thinking that it's not supposed to exist.  I'm unaware of any plain wire that Chrysler used that didn't have tracers with the possible exception of the wires going through the overhead and running the length of the body to the rear.  A possible third reason is that in the shop manual, there is a label for the color of the wire but it has two arrows going to it instead of one.  I think the additional arrow was supposed to point to the wire directly under it in the diagram (the wire going from the flasher to the hand brake light switch).  I could be wrong, the diagram so far has been pretty good but that is what I'm going for now.

Next, from that same terminal, the other red wire going to the hand brake light switch goes up into the harness above and travels through to the left and comes out of the harness that runs down the side and eventually to the firewall under where the heater (or would be if you don't have one).  

The direction indicator light is the small light on the upper right of the speedo.  There is another light that is on the upper left of the speedo that looks like it should be the left turn signal but its not.  The small light on the upper right blinks and indicates both left and right direction indicators.  The wire is on the terminal alone and looks to be yellow with one black tracer.  

The last wire, going from the circuit breaker to the ignition switch is red with I think one yellow tracer.  I imagine it goes up in the harness and back out after it passes over the gauges and to the ignition switch but I really don't know.  I have to take a look at the 1946 again.  I also have to get in my dash and see if I have that wire somewhere.  If I don't have it, that might mean that it doesn't go into the harness (meaning somebody removed it from my car which wouldn't be possible if it were in the harness since mine is still wrapped).  

Note that on pics of the 1946 car, the flasher looks like it has been replaced and lacks a circuit breaker.  I have no idea what the deal with mine is.  

EVERYTHING ABOVE IS MY BEST EDUCATED GUESS.  If somebody has different information, PLEASE correct me.  I hope this helps and that the pictures are ok.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

You are right on track as to the wire colors and where they go.

The faded wires at the 3 way bakelite connector need to be verified as there is only a medium brown=Rt side turn signal....a green wire =left side turn signal and the red flasher "L' wire that feeds 6 volt power to the turn signal switch through this bakelite connector.

The "X" or "+" terminal on the flasher has a circuit breaker with a RED wire that comes from the IGN switch connected to it.

The "L" terminal on the flasher has two reds... one goes to the emergency hand brake switch terminal and the other red goes to the 3 way connector  feeding the red wire from the Turn signal switch. ( check these wires as they fade considerably) !

The "P" on the flasher has a light colored White or off white wire that goes to the instrument cluster turn signal (only single bulb) indicator light.

Connector 2.JPG

Barbeee Blake Windsor and NY 3 Pass cpe Dash Trunk mat Wiring  (4).JPG

Turn Signal Switch C38 C39 (5).JPG

Blakes 48 C39 3 Pass cpe Finished Dash (18).JPG

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm still puzzled about this area...

So if the wire feeding the flasher through the circuit breaker comes from the harness...there should be a wire coming from the harness to the ignition switch.  Is that correct?  If so, does it have a fuse in that line?  The reason why I'm asking is because the owner's manual says there is a "directional signal" fuse, 9 amps, and it's located at "wire fuse connector behind instrument panel near ammeter."  Does the connection from the harness to the ignition switch go directly from the harness to the ignition switch or is it connected some through something else?

On a different matter.  I hope this isn't a dumb question but how is the horn connected?  I see on the wiring diagram that the horn button is connected to the horn relay but I don't see any wires from the horn ring.  I see the three coming down through the column going to the three wire connector but I thought that those were for for power from the flasher and the two wires going out to the lights for the directionals?  Doesn't there need to a be at least one (probably two) wires going to the horn ring/horn button?

The circuit breaker is the full protection for the turn signals. Look at the shop manual wiring diagram for  your answers. 

The owners manual can be wrong.

I have restored 5 of these 1946-48 cars over the last few years. I have Never seen one with the inline 9 amp fuse for the T/signals.

The horn relay grounding wire starts at the horn ring button down through the center of the steering tube out through the botton of the steerig gear onto the horn relay bullit connector terminal..

• Like 1

The owner's manual being wrong certainly makes the most sense especially with your experience to say otherwise.  It doesn't even make must sense to put a circuit breaker and a fuse on the same line.  I've been beating myself up about the connections trying to make sense of it!

I went out and saw that wire coming from the end of the steering column today for the horn relay.  I was expecting it to be run like the directionals but I suspect those were run like they are in order to branch them off and go to the rear taillights as well as the front ones.  I disconnected some extra wires and moved them out of the way today which made the under hood wires neat and orderly like they're supposed to be.  I had posted about a mystery electrical part under the hood in a separate post that had some dead-ended wires and connections to the dimmer switch.  I'm pretty sure now that that may have been a non-mopar foglight set.  Regardless, the sloppy job of electrical tape and branches were clouding the rest of the harnesses.  

Thanks for the help Bob.  I hope 48windsor14 logs back in to get this info or found it elsewhere.