Aftermarket Steering Column Turn Signal Switch

Guest Riles

I have a '48 Plymouth Special Deluxe Coupe that I bought from someone partially restored. It has what appears to be an aftermarket tilt steering column, and I would like to find the turn signal switch that belongs in it. The problem is, all the switches I can find on the internet don't have enough pictures to show me if they're the right ones. 

As you can see, the column has a little socket that the switch needs to sit in to allow the switch handle to screw into it. The other thing throwing me off is that the turn lever screws into the switch, unlike all the GM turn signal switches. 

I tried using one of the universal turn signal switches that just clamps on to the column with a hose clamp, but the steering column casing is so big that I can't get the switch to ground properly. Any help would be appreciated.

post-156162-0-25900000-1455045844_thumb.post-156162-0-49351500-1455045853_thumb.post-156162-0-02778500-1455045860_thumb.post-156162-0-73840000-1455045866_thumb.

Part of the steering wheel adapter is still on the shaft.

It looks to be GM to me by the placement of the levers, but don't go buying parts until you know for sure.

You need to take that adapter off with a suitable puller and remove the switch. That may involve pulling a wire harness up thru the column housing. So you may need to look at the lower end of the column.

as well.

Some columns put the switch down on the outside of the column and just the canceling device is under the wheel and a rod will go down the column to the switch itself.

BTH the first factory flasher was in a '39 Buick but did not become standard equipment on all cars until much later ('64 ?). Until then there were scads of aftermarket kits.

If tilt then probably GM, pre-69s did not have the ignition key in the column. That round chrome lever looks like a '66 Pontiac.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)