New Brush piston

brushF26

After a lot of research and a lot of help from other Brush owners I have found a company that will make a new piston with rings for me but their minimum order is (4) pistons. Is there anybody who would be interested in a new aluminum piston ? Once I know how many pistons are needed whether that be the minimum (4) or possibly more then I will get an estimate on cost.

Scott

• 4 weeks later...

Scott,

Concerning your research, have other Brush owners had any problems with balancing? Aluminum is considerably lighter than a stock cast iron piston, and Brush developed a means to balance the one cylinder cast iron piston, but how is this done with a lighter piston? Just curious to know if the counter balance device works with a lighter aluminum piston.

Skip

Skip,

I have reached out to a few guys but have not heard back yet about the fact the new piston will be lighter and if that will affect things . Egge Machine is making the new piston for me and the first schematic for me to approve should be emailed to me this week. Once approved they should have the new piston to me in about 6-8 weeks. I had my cylinder bored 30 over last week . Whats your thought about having the new piston made with thicker walls so as to increase the weight ? I have the "New Style" auxiliary counter balance on my engine so since that is adjustable I am hoping that may also help .

Maybe someone will read this post who has the knowledge of if the lighter piston will create issues and how to correct those issues.

Scott

Scott,

I don't know the answer about the heavier wall thickness or "New Style" counter balance device. I do know that a stock cast iron one cylinder engine is a very smooth running, low vibration, unit in the 1911 and 1912 models. Aluminum pistons in 2 and 4 cylinder engines are very common, but a Brush 1 cylinder needed the counter balance device. I was curious if you or others had any experience with balancing an aluminum piston in a one cylinder application.

Let me know what you find out.

All the best

Skip

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jackpm11

Hello,

welcome to all friends in this forum. After some research on google we can say that the new brush piston has some problem or issue for automobile but some company give the ring piston which is better for brush piston. these piston consist of aluminum.

http://www.contenthoop.com/preventative-vehicle-maintenance/8315/'> PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE

I have installed an aluminum piston in my 1910 Model D.  There is a counter balance gear in the engine and I did also replace the bearing for the balance gear.  I had the crank welded "up" and reground back down to original specs. For the record I utilized a piston out of a John Deere 2 cylinder motor rebuild kit which replaces those original cast iron pistons.  The block was bored over by 30 to accommodate the new piston and eliminate the scoring that had occurred from the original style wrist pin which had backed out as a result of someone in the past who had disassembled the motor and had not leaded the wrist pin set bolt in.  There was a required @ 5/8 of an inch which had to be added to the dome of the piston which was done by adding a billet of aluminum which was then machined to fit.  Then new valves were made up and fitted with the seats being bored out and then lapped in.

The adding of a lighter aluminum piston is a common rebuild in early one and two cylinder motors. ( Check with the Oldsmobile,Buick and Cadillac guys, of course we all know who designed those motors.) This accomplishes two things, modern rings for compression and oil and preserves the crank from coming apart by moving a lighter piston.

The John Deere piston set comes in with two pistons.  I still have the other if any one needs it I will sell it  at cost. Knowing that additional fitting costs will arise but probably still cheaper than the alternative.

I have no idea what a brand new Brush motor runs like, but this is probably as close as it gets.

John,

When you mention extra clearance how much are you meaning ?  I had my cylinder bored 30 over and Egge is making the new piston. I would assume they would be aware of things like that but I guess I probably should reach out to them to confirm .

Scott