1949 Dodge Wayfarer Sportabout

Branded

I have always liked these and have noodled with the idea of buying one over the years.  Neat car that you just don't see too often.  I'm not an expert but I think you are not getting any response because those numbers really don't tell you anything, other than maybe confirm the year.

Post some pictures and you will get lots more comments for sure.

I had a 50 Wayfarer that I sold a few years ago.  If you need any help, let me know, especially help concerning the rust issues on these cars!  I still have quite a few parts from 50 and 49 Wayfarers if you're looking.

Longshot.jpg

Taylormade

So far I haven't found any rust. I had looked at a few of Dodges and Plymouths 48-51 during my search and what I was finding was rocker boxes rotted away and weak floor pans. This car is solid, that's the reason I bought it.

That is great news. The inner rockers on these convertibles are really prone to rust and it is often hard to spot. I looked at a supposedly rust fre e example and poked the inner rocker with a screwdriver - it went right through and I was coated with a cloud of red dust. The danger is that they often rust from the inside out. You are lucky to have found a solid car. Enjoy it, they are great looking cars.

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

I've had time to start cleaning the underside of the Wayfarer Convertible and happy to say the car is 100% rust free. No holes or repairs that I've found, even has the original paint on the underside of the floor pans.

The convertible is missing the sun visor brackets.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I have at least one. I've checked most of my boxes with no luck. Looks like I'll have to get up in the garage attic. It's supposed to be a little cooler this week, so I'll have a look. Sorry this is taking so long.

No rush, just thought maybe you forgot.

Thanks Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Im also searching for a door along with the visor brackets. I have discovered my drivers door has had some major damage in the past. If you run across a nice rust free Wayfarer Sportabout drivers door with roll up window keep me in mind.

Thanks Dave