12 volt conversion

Guest TINNDN

Guest TINNDN

Anyone have tips or tricks on converting to 12 volt? I am completely requiring the car and decided that the conversion was in order.

Why do you think 12 volts is in order? You will find a properly done 6 volt system to be perfectly adequate for starting and running your car. Most times troubles with original wiring is that the grounds get corroded, or light gauge battery cables have been substituted over the years. With 6 volt you won't have to make any modifications to lights, gauges, generator, starter, or other electrical equipment.

Guest TINNDN

I am converting it, because I am doing a complete overhaul on this car to make it as reliable as possible for a daily driver. I will have modern radio, I want brighter lights, I want to be able to purchase a 12 volt battery over the counter if need be. The car needs a complete re-wiring, because the people that owned this car before me had NO clue what they were doing. The old wiring are spliced a hundred times over, and it looks as though a mouse has chewed through half of them. I am not looking to make this car an original masterpiece, I just want to be able to take my kids to school in it, and haul my camper around.

Search this site for 12 volt conversions and you will find plenty of discussions. Most agree that you are better off staying with 6 volts. You can do a radio work around, your lights will not be brighter with 12 volts on a properly operating 6 volt system and you can walk into most auto parts stores and buy a 6 volt battery off the shelf. Save yourself a lot of problems and stay with the 6 volts. The car will be dependible to take your kids to school in and a lot less trouble to convert your camper to 6 volts than your car.

Guest Krooser

You can buy a quality aftermarket wiring harness from companies like Rebel Wire or EZ Wire... be sure the harness is US made as there are several outfits selling cheap off-shore stuff that is not of very good quality.

Guest 53catalina

check out this page on my website, staying 6v is really easy.

1953 Pontiac - 6 Volt Electrics - The Essentials

you can buy a booster to make a 12v radio work and to supply charging power for a sat nav or cell phone.

The link at the bottom of the page to 5th Avenue garage will also provide an enormous amount of information to you.

Hope this is of help to you

Dan