'88/'89 Rear Speaker Upgrade Brackets

NCReatta

If you have an '88 or '89 Reatta, your rear speakers will composed of a 6" woofer, and a tweeter for each side.

It is common for lots of Reatta coupe owners to upgrade their rear speakers to the 6x9"s used in the '90/'91 cars. The 6x9" speakers will give you a much higher quality sound with better bass, and better tweeters.

A favorite speaker brand of the forum is the Infinity Kappas. See their 6x9s here: Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 9632cf 6x9-Inch, 300-Watt High Performance Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair): Car Electronics

However, to install the 6x9s in your '88 or '89, you must have the correct speaker brackets from a '90 or '91.

They are $70 for the pair with free shipping. Buy two for $120 with shipping.

Let me know if you're interested!

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)

Thats interesting. Whats involved installing the brackets and speakers? What size are the front speakers in 88/89 models?

Its very easy to install. You have to remove all the rear interior trim pieces, but after that, it's only about 5 or 6 phillips head screws per bracket to switch them out.

Front speakers for all years are 5.25"

You have to remove all the rear interior trim pieces :confused:

Hmmm, I see. And I have to take the front seats out to replace the radio too.

Do you think you will still be selling this equipment next Spring! LOL. I dont think I am going to have the time to git-r-done before Winter sets in.

I've used the Infiniti Kappa, not Reference. The Kappas are 2 Ohm impedance and give higher apparent sound output. The Reference series that Marck linked to are more suited to much higher wattage applications than our factory systems.

Reattatude,

I've never had a problem getting the radio in and out through the top of the console and while admittedly I've taken apart and reassembled my Reattas a lot of times, getting to the rear speaker brackets is not a huge project, figure even if you've never done it before it'll take an hour or so start to finish.

I've never had a problem getting the radio in and out through the top of the console and while admittedly I've taken apart and reassembled my Reattas a lot of times, getting to the rear speaker brackets is not a huge project, figure even if you've never done it before it'll take an hour or so start to finish.

The speaker brackets are very easy.. even if you've never done it. I'll be putting together a tutorial with pictures soon..

In all the cars I've taken apart, i've found it easiest to take the radio out when the seat is removed. That's just me though. If you can get to it from the console, then great!

• 4 weeks later...