• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 58_edsel_ranger

58_edsel_ranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:57 AM

I am in need of a 3 speed manual shift collar and shift lever. We bought a 58 Edsel and have about $4,500 wrapped up in it and it is just a garage ornament. If anyone knows where a 58 Edsel is with a column shifter please let me know ASAP. We are not rich and we spent almost all our money getting the car and towing it home. I would pay someone a little to go to a local junk yard, pull one, and ship it to me. We can shift from reverse to first but 2nd is almost impossible to get to. I need the whole collar and lever. Any help would be great!

#2 89REATTAJIM

89REATTAJIM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:34 AM

I would assume that these parts would be available on Fords and/or Mercurys of the same era. Good luck.... Jim
'89 Silver/Blue 68k mi (Thanx Unc)
'89 White/Burgandy 120k mi (Gone, but not forgotten)
'00 Expedition (Trailer Puller)

#3 58_edsel_ranger

58_edsel_ranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:48 AM

Thanks, that's what we are looking into right now. There is a car show on the second Saturday of July that we want to attend so the clock is ticking.

#4 keiser31

keiser31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 20,652 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, OREGON

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:11 AM

Try "The Big M" Mercury salvage yard in Williams, California...they may have a website.

1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 business coupe w/ wire wheels
1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 business coupe w/ wood wheels (my 1st car and still have it)
and visions of my past old cars....

#5 58_edsel_ranger

58_edsel_ranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:30 AM

The 3 speed Edsel column is not interchangeable with any other make or model. I was lucky and met a local Edsel nut. He has enough parts to build 2 or 3 Edsels. He had the column I needed and it was only $20 for the whole column. Thanks for the help. Glad I found that part.

#6 keiser31

keiser31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 20,652 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, OREGON

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:34 PM

Excellent to hear and good to know about the lack of being able to use a Mercury part.

1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 business coupe w/ wire wheels
1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 business coupe w/ wood wheels (my 1st car and still have it)
and visions of my past old cars....

#7 89REATTAJIM

89REATTAJIM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

The 3 speed Edsel column is not interchangeable with any other make or model. I was lucky and met a local Edsel nut. He has enough parts to build 2 or 3 Edsels. He had the column I needed and it was only $20 for the whole column. Thanks for the help. Glad I found that part.

Surprised that the column is unique to the Edsel. Glad you found your part, $20 sounds like a great deal. Good luck...... Jim
'89 Silver/Blue 68k mi (Thanx Unc)
'89 White/Burgandy 120k mi (Gone, but not forgotten)
'00 Expedition (Trailer Puller)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users