Sign in to follow this  
Dynaflash8

After Long Thread, a majority opinion?

I'm certain that the photo below of the 1936 Buick is recognized by CCCA as a full classic, since it is a custom coach built car. It is a nice car but in my view still does not compare to the "Brunns". This town car was done by Brewster on a 1936 Buick Roadmaster. It is currently for sale with Hyman Ltd. in the $87,000 range.

"Have you seen "The Brunn?"

Dave

BCA 26773

1938 Buick Special 4 door sidemounted touring sedan

post-58764-143138154636_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143138154639_thumb.jpg

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

Below are three more photos of the 1936 Buick Roadmaster Brewester Bodied Town Car. I found on the web. They were posted by conceptcarz.com

A very good web site on Classic and collecter cars.

"Have you seen "The Brunn ?"

Dave

BCA 26773

post-58764-143138154641_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143138154646_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143138154649_thumb.jpg

Dave, the car you pictured above is a 1936 Buick; although if Brewster worked on it for two years, it could have been first registered in 1938. In Maryland, that would have given it a 1938 title at the time. A friend of mine in California owns an unrestored 1938 Buick Brewster-bodied car, which he purchased years ago at an auction in Southern California. Many years ago there was a 1940 Buick Brewster-bodied car shown yearly at Hershey; however that car did not look like a Buick, in that it had the heart-shaped grill similar to the Ford's that had a Brewster body. This would have been the first Buick to win in AACA''s Class 19 I believe. If I'm right, that man's name will be listed in the AACA Winner's Book. The first regular Limited to win in Class 19 (Classic class) was a 1942 Buick Limited that belonged to woman golf-star Gayle Mann's brother. My 1941 Buick Limited was the second one to win; that being in 1976.

Hello Dynaflash8

I have seen that 1940 Town Car. It is owned by Robert Bahre of Paris, Maine. He is the former owner of The New Hampshire International Speedway.

The 1940 Brewster Buick Town Car was built for Mrs. Richard Whitney,

wife of the former president of the New York Stock Exchange. The rear compartment contains

2 crystal bud vases, vanity compartments, 2 fold-up jump seats and a polar bear rug.

I'm certain that this Buick is a reconized CCCA classic.

I have uploaded 4 photos of the car. I'm sorry to say it is not one of my favorite Buicks. I still prefer "The Brunns".

"Have you seen "The Brunn?"

Dave

BCA 26773

post-58764-143138154686_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143138154688_thumb.jpg

post-58764-14313815469_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143138154692_thumb.jpg

One would think that if Buick had lumped the 80 & 90 Series cars together

earlier under the Limited moniker, that there would be no issue

for the 80 Series' recognition by the CCCA.

39_series_80_90_4some.jpg

Larger, from the November, 1938 BUICK Magazine.

40_limited_lineupx.jpg

Larger, sorry for the bluish cast of this 1940 brochure image...

I have no dog in this fight, just an admiration of the largest Buicks, but, as mentioned before,

the later Series 80 cars are same in everything but name only.

TG

Many years ago there was a 1940 Buick Brewster-bodied car shown yearly at Hershey; however that car did not look like a Buick, in that it had the heart-shaped grill similar to the Ford's that had a Brewster body. This would have been the first Buick to win in AACA''s Class 19 I believe. If I'm right, that man's name will be listed in the AACA Winner's Book.

Owned by Noel Thompson at the time. Dave is right, it is now owned by Bob Bahre.

Well folks, I was sent an application. For better or worse I filled it out, wrote a long letter, provided some pictures and backup information, and a copy of the May-June 1971 issue of ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE in which I authored a 19-page researched history concerning the 1931-1942 Buicks. This article was written with the help of personal correspondence with retired Buick leaders, Charles Chayne, William Hufstader, Edward Ragsdale, and custom body builder Hermann Brunn. That's about all I can do. This thread has been fairly split, but I got the feeling that the result was leaning toward agreement that the rest of the big Buicks of the period should join the Limiteds. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. As of now I will close this thread, insofar as my continuing comment. I want to thank everyone who has offered and provided help, and offered their thoughts, both positive and negative. Now let's get this cold weather behind us and go have some old car fun.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

Good luck, Buick friend. I would not give it much of a chance since the committee rejected an application a few years ago for 31-39 80 Series Buicks. But times and committees do change, congrats for your initiative. Without it, surely nothing would change. I hope your proposal sails through, I think it would be good for the CCCA.

Earl,

I hope your application is successful, and that your Buick is certified.

Following that, I hope to see my 1937 Buick Model 80C Phaeton certified as well.

Best wishes,

Well, it's finally warmed back up here in Florida. I sent a second package this week, this one of statistical stuff, and it has been received. So, there is nothing more I can do except sit back and see what the verdict is. If anyone else wishes to send a letter of support, be my guest.

Only 20 more days until the AACA Convention in Philadelphia when, after 15 years of service on the Board, I'm going into retirement. It was a good ride, and I enjoyed almost every minute of it.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

Well Buick guys, the meeting is Feb 21 coming up and we'll see if I was able to send enough documentation on the 1941 and earlier Buick Series 70 and 80 to turn the heads of the Committee at all. I did my best and what will be, will be. I didn't include the 1942 model 70 as it is too similar to the 1946-48 model 70. It's always best not to over extend.

Earl,

Today is Tuesday 2/25/10. What is the result of the meeting and presentation of your request for your car? for my car? I certainly hope that they recognized the large series Buicks of these years.

The Committee meets and reviews the materials; or, that is what I understand. If they vote for the proposal it then still has to be presented to the entire membership. That is how I understand it. If they turn the proposal down, then I guess the presenter is sent a letter, or maybe a letter either way. There hasn't been time for a letter to be written, mailed and received here in Florida. Most Clubs and other organizations don't conduct business with members by email or open website. So, Marty, I think it's a case of being patient.

Hello Folks. I submitted a large amount of background and supporting information. I have been told that because of this, the Committee will study that information and reflect on my application again at the next meeting in June. Have patience. I think I did a good job with the support information. We were not summarily rejected, and I appreciate that, as we all should.