1953 Dodge Coronet Convertible - Any Others Out There?

Guest CaptainGTX

Guest CaptainGTX

I very recently bought a 1953 Dodge Coronet convertible that had been in storage since 1965 from the family of the original owner. It has its original Red Ram engine with Gyro-Torque transmission & is like a 12 year old used car (which it was when it was put up). Am currently going thru the process of getting it running.

In searching the internet for information on these cars, I find pictures of only three such cars - a restored one in a collection in Nevada, another restored one & a bare body (1953 or 54) at undisclosed locations. Supposedly 4,100 of these cars were made in 1953. Can the survival rate be so low that these convertibles are this scarce? I understand there are no others listed on the club roster. Any guesses as to survival rate - even at 10% there should be ~400 of them out there? Anyone have one or remember seeing one?

My first car was a 53 Coronet sedan, also with the Red Ram. A convertible would have certainly caught my attention over the years had I seen one. My other collector car is a 69 GTX, so now I have a "collection".

Guest CaptainGTX

Good suggestion, but already checked with WPC. They said they have several 1953 2dr sedans & numerous 4drs & trucks, but no convertibles on the roster. That's what got me wondering just how many of these might still be in existence, and whether anyone recalls seeing one around.

You mean like this one?

Seriously, I just did a google image search and came up with a couple. I would expect that there are a dozen or so running around out there. But still a very rare car. You have a diamond. Keep us posted on getting it running. We are all interested in stories with pics.

Here are a couple of videos too.

1953 dodge coronet convertible - Google Videos

1953 dodge coronet convertible - Google Videos

post-48480-143138124509_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138124511_thumb.jpg

Guest CaptainGTX

Thanks, John

Believe the red one is in a collection in Nevada. There's also a blue one that is shown on Allpar's site. Mine makes three. You might be right about there only being a dozen or so converts remaining.

Rich

Guest CutNChop

You can get a build sheet from Chrysler Historical that will tell when anwhere it was built, what options it has and what dealer it was shipped to. Cost around $45.

Won't help for how many are still around but nice to have.

Guest CaptainGTX

It doesn't look like Chrysler offers this service anymore. Does anyone have a website or address that they're confident will work? Might anyone outside Chrysler now have this information?

Also, did Chrysler use a build sheet or tag or other system as early as 1953 of identifying what options were to be factory installed that might still be in the car? The only things I've found so far are the VIN tag & a built in Detroit tag. (From the low VIN looks like it was probably built within the first week or two of production.)

• 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...

capaingtx  I owned a 53 dodge conv from 1961 to 1964   a black  exterior red and gray cloth and vinyl interior. The last one I saw in person was  mine when I sold it in 1964 for 150 dollars .   Big mistake on my part !   Over the years I always look for them found 3 of them one in Las Vegss  a red one  ,a blue one location unknown , and a black one currently for sale for the last couple years. Any questions you might have feel free to contact me at etbatoldcars@msn.com .

• 2 weeks later...