1931 DeSoto SA Carburetor Float Level

Guest ejh

Hello,

I need to know what the float level setting is for a 1931 DeSoto SA. Also, where you take the measurement. Any other helpful information would be great!

Thank you,

Ed

My Carter book shows model 188S and 200S for the 1931 SA Desoto. Must of had a 3rd one?

Since the 1931 DH6 is the same engine, that is what I presumed it came with. Somewhere I have those specs....I HATE it when my office is too full of paperwork!! I will keep looking.

Guest martylum

Ed-I have a 30 Desoto with a brass bowl Carter carb and my owners manual mentions checking the float level by removing a small plug from the side of the carb body . If the fuel should flow out of the carb plug opening, the float level is too high.

The owners manual does not specify any measured float level so i would guess Chrysler did not expect the Desoto to rebuild his own carb.

I've never done this on my own carb so I guess I'll have to give it a try. I had mine professionally rebuilt but the rebuilder did not manage to clean up the idle circuit entirely so I couldn't get it to idle well at the appropriate engine speed. A disassembly and checkup spotted debris in the idle circuit tubes. A cleanup of these very small diamater idle tubes solved the problem. Have done about 4,000 miles mostly on tours with this setup.

Martin Lum

If you cannot read this, send me your email address and I can email it to you. John

Thanks! That's what I'm looking for.

I've owned the car for 35 years and never checked the float level.

Thanks for the help,

Ed

Hi John,

No extra carburetor. As a mater of fact, I need the top to the fuel pump. I stripped the threads in one of the valve chambers putting a kit in it.

Ed