Cloisonne Restoration

alsfarms

Guest palosfv3

What is the condition of your emblems. If your glass is in good shape there may be an option .

I had a similar issue with the Facel . The emblems were cloisonne but the chrome was worn off showing the base metal of the emblem. I ordered reproductions being made in Europe. I was very disappointed in the look of the epoxy used in place of the glass . No matter how hard you try it just doesn't have the appearance of the glass. To reproduce a emblem as original in cloisonne is going to be extremely expensive and difficult.

If you decide to remove the glass , replate and replace the cloisonne. The only place I am aware of is Black Barts in Texas. For the Facel they were around $500.00 to $600.00 per emblem and took about 6 months to a year. The Facel emblem is about 1"x 2". The reason for this time frame is the firing process to melt the glass in the kiln. They need to wait until they have enough emblems to warrant firing up the oven.

Back to a solution if you have good glass. Check with Mark at the "Finishing Touch " in Chicago. They were able to replate the emblems without removing the cloisonne and the work was just outstanding and only about $175.00 to $225.00 for my emblems. This was a couple of years ago. I'm sure prices may vary but this was a great option and they are well versed in chrome plating and polishing. Give him a call you wont be disappointed.

Larry

Two other restorers of cloisonne, Emblematic, and Bob Turnquist at Hibernia Restorations. Both advertise regularly, you should be able to find them via Hemmings ads or Google. I believe the Turnquist jobs were not done thru his restoration shop, but you could make contact with the service that way, as Bob, well-known Packard historian, author, etc. passed away yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...