Rocker arms replaced

RivNut

Hey RivNuts,

Some time ago, there was a thread on this forum about a finicky oil pressure light on a 307 Oldsmobile V8 equipped Riviera. There were lots of posts with lots of advice on how to fix the problem. One of the posts mentioned replacement of the rocker arms closest to the EGR valve.

I needed new valve cover gaskets installed on my 85's 307 and decided that while they were off, I'd have the mechanic look at the aforementioned rocker arms. I wound up having four of them replaced. <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">What a world of difference in the way the car runs now.</span></span> The old Riv is new again, it runs like a dream. I'm just sorry I didn't do this a long time ago. I also had the air shocks replaced. Just because they hold air doesn't mean they aren't worn out.

I think that as we drive these cars mile after mile, year after year, we sometimes don't realize that when things happen slowly, we don't realize they're happeing at all, and we're satified with what we have. They might not have many miles on them, but they're still "old." Kind of like me, I thought I was pretty fit until I was asked to help coach Jr. High Basketball - man what an eye opener.

I would encourage any of you who've been living with your car for quite a few years to take it to a professional mechanic and have it brought back up to number 1 condition. It will be money well spent and you'll be in love with it again.

Ed

Ed,

I need to replace the valve cover gaskets on my '85 Riv 307 also, but I haven't decided to do it myself or have a mechanic handle it. My question is, can you tell me what it cost you to have your mechanic perform it...labor only as I have replacement gaskets already. I figure it will take me est. two/three hours each side whereas a mechanic's time would be much less BUT my labor's free.

Thanks...

Dave,

I could have probably done it as well but, as I made mention of, I injured my shoulder about six weeks ago and it's tough even to grip a screwdriver and give it a gentle twist. I think that this car had been maintained by some less than informed mechanic. I had it tuned up, new plug wires, carb adjusted, and a couple of other things as well as having the shocks installed. I think the total was just a little over $500. Linda took a check from my check book and paid for it; I've yet to see the receipt. When I get it from her (it's still at her work place) I'll let you know.

Ed