Can you Identify this accessory? Is it Factory? 1964 Riv

Guest Gee_Rydes

Guest Riviera66

I agree they look like mounts for aftermarket headrests. I have a pair of them in the garage somewhere. When headrests came out in '66, a lot of owners of '65 and older cars wanted the update. The generic aftermarket ones were cylindrical shaped and you used a little thumbscrew as I recall to attach them for the right height.

Darwin Falk

1966-70 ROA Technical Advisor

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, Ranger Jim and Darwin are correct. Those are mounts for aftermarket headrests. Is that your car? If it has a Super Wildcat under the hood and the Turbine bolt on wheel covers, it would be my dream 64 Riviera.

Guest Gee_Rydes

Kevin,

Sorry to say it was a car I found for sale on the internet.

Rare color and other options it seems.

I wonder why the owner did not have the headrests attached to showcase the upgrade?

Thanks for all your input on this one.

That's actually my car! And yes it is a numbers matching KX code dual quad car. Dave, you must have found an old ad online with that photo. I wondered about those hooks on the back seats also - so I guess the mystery is solved.

This car is getting a frame off restoration this summer, so the next time you see it the color will be the correct Coral Mist (the car was previously repainted and is not exactly right - a little too pink) and will have a black interior (sorry Kevin). Watch for it at the annual ROA meet in 2009!