Clutch problems on my 48 Super

Guest Blackpack

Guest Blackpack

I just purchased A beautiful 1948 Buick Convertible that was advertised as having a new clutch. I can see some new parts under the hood, so I believe that at least some parts have been replaced. I just took it out for the first time and learned that there is a terrible shutter in both first gear and reverse. Also, the is gears are meshing when down shifting. But what really has me worried is the pancake size puddle of oil under the clutch housing. It is dripping from what looks like a weep hole at the bottom of the clutch housing. I am assuming that this is supposed to be plugged? I don't see any mention of it in the shop manual. It looks like engine oil. Any advice would be appreciated

Edited by Blackpack (see edit history)

You almost certainly have a rear main oil seal leak on the back of the engine, and it is seeping onto the face of the clutch disc, which is causing it to grab and slip, causing the clutch chatter or shudder. Unfortunately, the only fix is to remove either the engine or the clutch & transmission, to put a new rear main seal around the crankshaft at the back of the engine. A new seal is not hard to find, but the labor to install it is considerable. Too bad they didn't do it when or if they had the engine out recently.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx.

1948 76-S

1948 56-S

1949 51

1949 59

...and other Buicks

Guest Blackpack

Thanks Pete, that is what I was afraid of. I guess I'll be looking for a mechanic in the Indianapolis area that can work on these old Buicks