1939 Buick 320 issues

Guest Kejsaren

Guest Kejsaren

Hi

As you may know, I´m restoring a 1939 Buick 66c that do not want to be assembled easily.

The damn car offers great resistance to all sense and makes me generally irritable at times.

We have now had it for seven long years and now it is time to paint the engine so we can mount it and test start, it would raise the morale considerably.

Now I have three questions for you "experts" :-) let´s see if you could help me.

First: I discovered two small holes in the bottom of the intake (Pic 1) I saw it when I looked down from above. I can see a small 1/8 hole in the bottom of each "chamber"

is that right ?? it may be rust holes ?? what are they for if they now are correct?

Second: What is the hole at pic 2 for? should it be a steel ball in it for some sort of valve? I know it will be a tube that goes down but I do not know what it is for

Third: Where should i connect the oil gauge line? the hole at the back of the bottom ?

Thanks

Jan Lundquist - Sweden

post-50063-143142952488_thumb.jpg

post-50063-1431429525_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kejsaren (see edit history)

post-30596-143142952664_thumb.jpgOn page 6-39 of the 1938 service manual there is a diagram showing the function of the holes. The horizontal hole is intersected by the hole in each plentem below the carb.

The system has two functions. (1) during cranking, any raw fuel is atomized by air being drawn in thru these holes in the bottom. (2) Excessive raw fuel is allow to drain out.

What is not shown in your photo is the 90 degree fitting which has a ball type check valve and a tube that extends down to the bottom outside of the pan.

post-30596-14314295266_thumb.jpg

Guest Kejsaren

hmm

shame on me.

i should have seen that as i have alot of books to look in. thanks for the tips Barney.

any chance to buy that special elbow somewhere? maybe Bob´s or Car´s have it.

About the manifolds, I read that there shall not be a gasket between the intake manifold and heat the valve body.?

I put mine together for over a year ago and I see that I have mounted a gasket there and the whole asembly fits like a glove and lines up perfect in every way.

I found that gasket in my gasket kit and I assumed that it would be installed because it was there.

Guest Kejsaren

maybe the tube from the oil gauge goes into the second hole from behind as it interfers with the starter in the first hole

what size is the vacuum tube from the vacuum pump?

I meassured the tube on the wipermotor and that one is 1/4 so i assumed the tube should be 1/4 too, but i have a clamp that fits very good for that job and that one is for a 5/16 tube. see attached picture

[ATTACH=CONFIG]292950[/ATTACH]

Janne