hood hinge spring question

Guest MontyD

I found someone who sold me 2 hood hinge springs (for now it doesn't matter that one is chromed and one isn't). But aren't the rear side hooks for the left spring and the right supposed to be reversed from each other? (Being the same, one attached around from the inside of the rear notch and the other attached around from the outside. That doesn't seem right. Or else if I flipped one around then the front side hook on one spring would attach around from the underneath side of the front notch and that doesn't seem right either. The Chassis Manual isn't very detailed about it. Thanks.

Plus, could someone show me a good picture of a hood hinge for a '66? I'm beginning to think my car's previous owner might have put the wrong hood hinges on (I'm finding all kinds of bizarre things with this car!). I hope I'm not too dense to figure out no-brainer stuff, but there's a lot to restoration that's new to me.

post-104050-143142937577_thumb.jpg

Edited by MontyD (see edit history)

The springs are the same for each side.

OK thanks, that clears everything up ... I AM too dense to figure out no-brainer stuff. I'm looking straight at your great pictures and then at my own hinges and springs and mine just don't affix the way yours are. In my mind's eye, any way I rotate the springs, if the fronts hook over the tops, the rears always both hook from left to right. But as I look at your pictures, yours don't do that, I mean, the passenger side one goes from left to right and the driver side one goes from right to left. Maybe I've become dyslexic.

I think I see it now. It's the fronts that are supposed to attach from opposite sides. Or is it? (Sorry. This is embarrassing. No, I'm not drunk or stoned. Maybe I'm older than I thought I was.)

I think I see it now. It's the fronts that are supposed to attach from opposite sides. Or is it? (Sorry. This is embarrassing. No, I'm not drunk or stoned. Maybe I'm older than I thought I was.)

Monty

Not embarrassing at all and its a good question actually that made me check a number of reference pics. I see them installed in varying methods on seemingly original cars but of course I have no way of knowing for sure if the springs hadn't even been disturbed. Unless a car was restored, typically people don't mess with these since they can be a real bugger to remove and install. Some cars have both springs with the open ends turned down in the front which means one rear open end will be outward and one inward. Seen cars with one front spring with open end down and the other open end up which means both rears would then be pointed same way. So no matter what you can't install both springs so the all open ends point same way due to the design.

The springs pictured have one hinge with front open-end-up and the other down but both rears point same way. Clear as mud huh!

Jason,

What kind of finish is on the springs and the hinges? Looks really good.

Ed,

Hinges were sent out for gray phosphate. Springs are painted to match original. Went through a painstaking process to match original paint. I don't know enough about others year but this is correct for 66/67. Springs are special a shade of gloss blue/gray

Ed